Audio By Carbonatix
Some ruling New Patriotic Party (NPP) members at New Juaben South in the Eastern Region have obtained an injunction to prevent the election of the polling station and area coordinators.
The plaintiffs are; Jalil Ibn Tahir, Amoh Jonas, Ako George and Mable Asantewaa Aikins.
According to them, the constituency executives have made a concerted effort to keep nomination forms from being made available to all aspirants; instead, they are selling the forms secretly to their preferred candidates.
“All efforts to buy copies of the nomination forms have proved futile…The plaintiffs say the defendants are secretly and or clandestinely selling nomination forms to their favourites, depriving other prospective candidates attempts to contest for their respective positions in their various polling stations,” they said in their statement of claim.
They also said the Constituency Chairman, Prince Benjamin Aboagye and the Secretary, Abubakar Alhassan failed to open nomination on the proposed date, thus February 19, 2022.
The duo was also accused of failing to communicate the expected location for selecting nomination forms.
Despite petitioning the elections committee about the irregularities, nothing was done to solve the issue hence the injunction to prevent the election of the polling station and area coordinators.
They also want “an order of the court directed at the defendants who are in charge/custody of the nomination forms for the polling station and electoral area coordinators election to make same available to all eligible prospective candidates in the upcoming polling station and electoral area coordinators elections New Juaben Constituency.”
The plaintiffs further requested that the national executives will be in charge of the sale of nomination forms, and "no prospective aspirant shall be denied access to the purchase of application forms."
The opening of nomination for polling station elections have been characterised by confusion and, in some instances, chaos, as aspirants accuse party executives of hoarding nomination forms.
Manhyia North, Kwadaso, Asante-Mampong and Kumawu are some of the constituencies hit with widespread confusion.
Latest Stories
-
Pope calls for an end to West Bank violence against Palestinians
3 hours -
Shipping slows through Strait of Hormuz after tanker attacks, data shows
3 hours -
Why I stopped trying to quit smoking – Omah Lay
3 hours -
‘What if sharks swallow you’ – Teni warns Burna Boy over ocean stunt
3 hours -
What’s driving men to get penis fillers, despite the risks?
3 hours -
Ngah brace fires Cameroon to historic first WAFCON crown with dominant Malawi victory
3 hours -
Ariana Grande leaves problems at home as her tour hits the UK
4 hours -
‘Ghana was the crime scene’ – the country leading the demand for slavery reparations
4 hours -
Court dismisses Nana Kwame Bediako’s fresh bid to halt $14.9m judgment
4 hours -
Air India pilot’s reported cannabis test: What it can and can’t tell investigators
4 hours -
France’s top court blocks social media ban for under-15s
4 hours -
Fery wins on return as Djokovic reveals health condition after loss
4 hours -
‘Probably my last year’ – Ronaldo hints at retirement
5 hours -
Arsenal cruise to Community Shield win against disappointing Man City
5 hours -
Barcelona agree £65m deal to sign Rodri from Man City
5 hours