Pope Francis has a respiratory infection and will need to spend a few days in hospital in Rome, the Vatican says.
The 86-year-old had breathing difficulties in recent days but does not have Covid, a statement said.
It said he would need “a few days of appropriate hospital medical therapy”.
“Pope Francis is touched by the many messages received and expresses his gratitude for the closeness and prayer,” the statement added.
His closest staff, including security, are expected to stay the night at the Gemelli Hospital, a person with direct knowledge told the BBC.
This is the busiest time of the year for Pope Francis, with many events and services scheduled ahead of Easter weekend.
A Palm Sunday Mass is scheduled this weekend, and Holy Week and Easter celebrations next week.
He is also scheduled to visit Hungary at the end of April.
On Wednesday morning, he presided over his weekly general audience in St Peter’s Square. He appeared in good spirits but was seen grimacing as he was helped into his vehicle.
The pontiff has used a wheelchair in recent months due to mobility problems related to his knee.
He also underwent surgery to treat a colon problem in 2021. In January, he said the condition had returned.
Despite his ailments, the Pope has remained active and has undertaken trips abroad. He visited the Democratic Republic of Congo and South Sudan in February.
In January, the Pope led the funeral of his predecessor Pope Benedict XVI – who was the first pope to step down voluntarily for centuries. He said this was due to ill health.
Pope Francis has previously indicated that he may also wish to follow in Benedict’s footsteps in the event that his health deteriorates.
Pope’s schedule over Easter
- 2 April, Palm Sunday: 09:30 (7:30 GMT) Papal Mass, 12:00 Sunday Blessing
- 5 April: 09:00 Papal General Audience
- 6 April, Holy Thursday: 09:30 Chrism Mass in St Peter’s Basilica
- 7 April, Good Friday: 17:00 Passion of the Lord, 21:15 Stations of the Cross at the Colosseum
- 8 April, Holy Saturday: 20:30 Easter Vigil in St Peter’s Basilica
- 9 April, Easter Sunday: 10:00 Easter Sunday Mass, 12:00 Urbi et Orbi in St Peter’s Square
- 10 April, Easter Monday: 12:00, Pasquetta in St Peter’s Square
- 50 people injured after accident involving 4 cars on Kasoa-Weija road
- Assin North by-election: EC denies NDC’s accusation of inserting candidate’s name in voters register
- Nogokpo saga: Perez Chapel Bishop declares week-long fast over controversy
- Encourage acquisition, mergers of banks and NBFIs if needed – IMF tells government
- Agya Koo’s new plush mansion which got social media talking
- Two police officers injured as ghetto boys escape with handcuffs during arrest at Gomoa Nyanyano
- Assin North by-election: NDC accuses NPP, EC of plotting to insert an unqualified candidate’s name in voters register
- ‘I can’t believe I am here’ – Tariq Lamptey on his first start at the World Cup for Ghana
- betPawa PL: Hearts of Oak lose 4th consecutive game; Medeama drop points
- NPA impounds 181,000 litres of crude oil, diesel in Western Region
- Woman jailed over infant deaths pardoned
- Ecobank Ghana supports Zero Malaria Business Leadership Initiative with $120,000
- Prince Harry accused of ‘wasting time’
- Billie Jean King Cup: Richard Ayi Dartey announces Ghana’s squad
- Five bills expected to be laid as Parliament reconvenes tomorrow
- 2023 AFCONQ: Asamoah Gyan expresses ‘worry’ about Black Stars squad for Madagascar clash
- Lasmid leaves Highly Spiritual Music – Kaywa confirms
- June 4 uprising occurred for far less than what is happening in Ghana today – Mahama
- There is no law to empower GHAMRO to charge for music play – Rex Omar
- Gunmen kill dozens and kidnap children in northern Nigeria
- Power Purchase Agreements: Let’s go for least-cost procurement competitive tender regime – former VRA Boss
- Wimbledon: Russian and Belarusian players still waiting for visas to enter UK
- Ga Traditional Council entreats citizens to adhere to customary laws
- We’ll continue to push for good pricing for Ghana’s cocoa beans – Agric Minister
- Djokovic ‘proud’ of surpassing Nadal’s record