Audio By Carbonatix
Opposition politicians have reacted to Senegal President Macky Sall’s announcement that he will not be a candidate in the 2024 presidential election, saying it resulted from pressure from the people.
Abass Fall, a member of parliament and co-ordinator of Pastef – the party of key opposition leader Ousmane Sonko – said it was no surprise.
"What would have surprised us is if Macky Sall had declared his candidacy for 2024. We all know that he wanted to... unfortunately for him, the pressure was such that he had no choice but to respect the constitution, which he himself cited several times, which he had voted in 2016."
Aminata Touré, a former prime minister who is now in opposition said Mr Sall’s decision to respect the constitution was because of the “mobilisation of Senegalese democrats” locally and in the diaspora:
“No one was prepared to accept the democratic regression he envisaged. So, in desperation, he respects the Constitution. If he had done so much sooner, we wouldn't be where we are today,” she said.
She said 16 people had been killed in protes"s "and the commission of inquiry will have to tell us who the masterminds were and who the others were”.
A former trade minister and leader of the ruling Alliance pour la République party, Aminata Assome Diatta, has however described the moment as "historic".
"Today is a historic date, and more than in the past, the President of the Republic has shown the world that politics can go hand in hand with ethics," she said.
Latest Stories
-
Panic in Sunyani: Chiefs to perform rituals after mystery deaths of two successive headteachers
2 minutes -
“It is worrying” – Prof. Akosa sounds alarm over failing medical ethics
26 minutes -
World Cup reality check: Mexico beat fringe Black Stars 2-0 in Puebla friendly
39 minutes -
Black Stars lose 2-0 to Mexico in pre-World Cup friendly in Puebla
1 hour -
Free speech: MFWA slams ‘weaponisation’ of state laws
2 hours -
Senegal president sacks PM Sonko, dissolves government after months of friction
2 hours -
NITA defends ICT fees, rejects claims of ‘digital coup’
2 hours -
UN releases $60m from central fund to tackle lethal Ebola outbreak
3 hours -
“Put people first” – Vice-President tells global financial giants at ACI Congress
4 hours -
Vice-President commissions 100 new Metro Mass buses
5 hours -
“You do not need my permission” – Bagbin clears misconception over arresting MPs
6 hours -
Ice baths, almond milk, meditation and a ‘house like a hospital’: The secrets of Salah’s success
6 hours -
Lupita Nyong’o rejects criticism of Helen of Troy role
7 hours -
This Saturday on Prime Insight: GN Savings and Loans licence restoration and the Abronye bail debate
7 hours -
Putin vows retaliation after accusing Ukraine of hitting student dormitory
7 hours