The scheduled meeting between the Greater Accra Regional Minister and the Parliamentary Privileges Committee on Thursday did not come off.
Mr. Quartey was expected to answer questions about his absence from Parliament for more than 15 days without permission.
According to JoyNews’ Parliamentary Correspondent, Kwesi Parker-Wilson, although Henry Quartey was present, the Committee’s Chairman, Joseph Osei Owusu was unavailable for the session.
He reported that the Chairman excused himself because he had to takeover proceedings in the main House to enable speaker Bagbin attend to some visitors from Canada.
“So, since the Chairman of the Committee won’t be available, there wasn’t the need for the Committee to interrogate Henry Quartey over his absence,” he said.
Mr. Parker-Wilson stated that the members of the Committee exchanged pleasantries with the Minister for 30 minutes and apologised to him “for the Committee’s inability to hear him.”
He added that the meeting was thus postponed to a later date.
Meanwhile, the Privileges Committee has rescheduled the hearing of Dome-Kwabenya’s Member of Parliament to a future date.
Sarah Adwoa Safo was also scheduled to appear before the Committee on Friday, May 27, to justify why she missed proceedings in Parliament for more than 15 days.
However, the Chairman of the Committee, Joseph Osei Owusu, appealed to the members at a meeting on Wednesday, May 25, to postpone the hearing to a later date.
Joseph Osei Owusu also disclosed that the Committee will not sit as scheduled, because he is expected to cast his vote during the election of the New Patriotic Party’s Ashanti Regional Executives in Kumasi.
- #OccupyJulorbiHouse: Organisers of demonstrations must respect the law – Gary Nimako
- Ghana is in a leadership crisis; African leaders lack consciousness – Prof Adu-Gyamfi
- NPP flagbearer race: Bawumia suspends campaign over ongoing limited registration exercise
- Sharaf Mahama celebrates 26th birthday with donation and reading session with kids
- I’m not the 3rd richest man in Ghana – Dr Kwame Addo-Kufuor
- Desist from registering JHS 1 and 2 students for BECE – Public school heads warned
- Bob Menendez steps down as US Senate foreign relations chairman after indictment
- MohBad mourners teargassed at Nigeria’s Lekki toll gate after Lagos concert
- Ethiopian Prince Alemayehu’s lock of hair returned after 140 years in UK
- US senator Bob Menendez charged with bribery after wads of cash and gold bars found at home
- GPL 2023/24: Bofoakwa Tano score late to beat RTU at home
- Sudan war: Army chief Burhan claims he’s ready for peace talks
- Livestream: Newsfile discusses #OccupyJulorbiHouse protest and OSP-Cecilia saga
- Former Bantama MP, Okyem Aboagye dead
- Mahama Ayariga condemns killing of 9 in highway ambush at Pusiga