The Qatari Football Association (QFA) has appointed former Ghana coach Milovan Rajevac as the new man in charge of the national team.
Qatar has been searching for a new boss after the departure of Bruno Metsu in the aftermath of the 2011 Asian Cup, which left the Frenchman sacked after he failed to guide the team past the quarter-finals stage.
“We are pleased to announce Milovan Rajevac as Qatar’s coach. He has done very well with Ghana and we are confident Qatar will do well under him,” President Sheikh Hamad bin Khalifa bin Ahmed al-Thani said in a press conference.
Rajevac quit as Al-Ahli coach earlier this week, citing family reasons, but didn’t wait long to find a new job.
“I am pleased to take up the Qatar offer,” Rajevac said. “Qatar will host the World Cup in 2022 and it will be an honour to work here.”
Meanwhile, elsewhere in the AFC, Henrique Calisto has resigned as coach of Vietnam. The Portuguese tactician failed to guide Vietnam to success at the South-East Asia Cup earlier this year and has received criticism in the past few weeks.
Vietnam Football Federation’s deputy chairman Nguyen Lan Trung told AFP: “He set forth several reasons for the resignation, but the main reason was media pressure against him and the team. He thought it’s not good for the young players and his exit will be better for the national team.”
- We were never consulted on NDC Parliamentary leadership reshuffle – Muntaka Mubarak
- Minority Leadership reshuffle an affront to dignity of NDC Caucus – Dr. Dominic Ayine
- Financial crisis has affected my GH¢106k investment – Agyinasare
- Debt Exchange Programme: Government reaches agreement with Ghana Insurers Association
- Stonebwoy thanks Asamoah Gyan for paying for his surgery 7 years ago
- Tullow Oil challenges GRA over $300m tax imposition
- ‘I’ve had frank conversations with Haruna Iddrisu’ – Ato Forson reveals
- Consultations are not mandatory – Dr. Spio-Garbrah on change in Minority leadership
- Haruna Iddrisu, Muntaka Mubarak still leaders of Minority Caucus – Cletus Avoka
- Haruna Iddrisu disclaims posts on Facebook, Twitter handles purported to be his
- Paapa Versa recruits KooKusi for new single ‘Lights go dim’ from upcoming ‘Versa Villa’ album
- Adjust fiscal measures and save ¢83.bn; don’t touch our funds – IBF to government
- Morgan Stanley penalizes employees as much as $1 million for WhatsApp breaches – source
- Today’s front pages: Friday, January 27, 2023
- Kenya pushes one-pub-per-town order to fight alcoholism
- Kenyan court convicts Venezuelan diplomat of murder
- Decision to reshuffle NDC’s Minority Leadership was taken by FEC – Yamin
- AMA to roll out digital revenue collection system in March 2023
- Let’s assemble our own domestic IMF team before we are told to do so – Alhassan Andani
- Commercial banks should not be faulted for selling cocoa bills – Alhassan Andani
- DDE could be a positive turning point for Ghana – Alhassan Andani
- Mahama speaks on Africa’s strategic priorities at Chatham House
- Pusiga celebrates late philanthropist’s 67 years of changing lives
- Debt Exchange Programme: Jubilee House, EMT against inclusion of individual bondholders – Bright Simons
- National Labour Commission directs CETAG to call off strike