European giants Real Madrid were handed a humiliating Copa del Rey last-32 defeat by third division outfit Alcoyano – who were down to 10 men.
Zinedine Zidane’s side took the lead through defender Eder Militao but Jose Solbes took the tie to extra time.
Alcoyano – who play in Segunda Division B – had Ramon Lopez sent off for a second booking but earned a famous win when Juanan stole in at the near post.
“I take responsibility and whatever has to happen will happen,” Zidane said.
Club legend Zidane has won three Champions League titles as a manager but is under pressure, with his side four points behind La Liga leaders Atletico Madrid – who have two games in hand.
Real are 19-time winners of the Copa del Rey, but have not lifted it for seven years and have only won it twice since 1993.
Incredibly, this is the fifth time a team from the third tier has eliminated them since 2001.
Real were without captain Sergio Ramos – who is out of contract this summer and could leave the club after 16 years – as Zidane made nine changes from the team who lost to Athletic Bilbao in the Super Cup.
But the team that finished against Alcoyano still contained Karim Benzema, Eden Hazard, Marcelo, Casemiro and Toni Kroos.
The humiliating defeat saw Spanish media call Zidane’s future into question, with Tomas Roncero, editor-in-chief of newspaper AS, delivering a damning assessment.
“Madrid writes one of the most embarrassing pages in its history,” he said.
“Let 2021 end now. This is a nightmare. Zidane’s flower has withered forever.”
Marca simply said: “If he is saved from this, it is a miracle.”
The France legend himself was more pragmatic. Only six months ago, he won the title at the end of the first full season of his second spell as boss.
“The players have left everything on the field. We have had chances and when you don’t put it in, what happened to us can happen,” he said.
“I assume responsibility and we will continue working. We will not go crazy.
“I think the players are with me but you have to ask them, we have done good things in the season. We have to concentrate on that things can be done.”
- One feared dead, several others injured after accident at Legon underpass
- Citi FM journalist, Caleb Kudah allegedly picked up by National Security operatives
- Leadership crisis at Ghana Rugby: Chairman Herbert Mensah suspended indefinitely, set to be removed from office on June 8
- Fire guts new Kejetia Market
- Ghana drops to 95th in 2021 World Happiness ranking
- Chinua Achebe’s ‘Things Fall Apart’, ‘No Longer at Ease’ and ‘Arrow of God’ are being adapted for television
- Cape Coast airport to be completed before end of second term – Transport Minister assures
- Our scholars in Cuba are broke because they insist on table-top payment – GNPC Foundation
- Wesley Girls: Aside ban on fasting Muslims aren’t allowed to observe Salat – Old student
- Social media users list Top 5 Ghanaian players
Nursing aide gets 7 life terms for killing 7 elderly VA patients with insulin
Ghana to host African Swimming and Open Water championships
Chief breaks ground for multipurpose Nkawkaw Palace
Double whammy for Ghana in Old Mutual Amazing Voices
RTI Law is to empower citizens and to fight corruption – RTI Coalition
Mental disorder after childbirth is real – Victim recounts
Transgender Cameroonians jailed for 5 years
Dr Prince Hamid Armah: Exploring Akufo-Addo’s commitment to education; Policy, spending, and outcomes
Politicisation of security agencies cause of insecurity in the country- Sam George
Museveni takes oath for 6th term
Ghana has not done enough to get girls out of the streets – Development consultant
China’s population grows to 1.41 billion people
Uganda deploys troops ahead of Museveni inauguration
Banks cannot be blamed for not accepting new Voter ID cards – Association of Bankers
9-year-old boy dies after being ‘struck by lightning’ on football field