Audio By Carbonatix
The Ghana National Association of Teachers (GNAT) has asked the Ghana Education Service (GES) to immediately reinstate the interdicted headmaster of Ghana Senior High School (GHANASCO).
The Association says the interdiction was without merit as no investigation had been conducted into the issue at the time.
According to GNAT, the move by the GES has affected the confidence of the embattled headmaster, Mr Doughlas Haruna Yakubu.
GNAT General Secretary, Thomas Musah speaking in an interview with Accra-based Citi FM on April 18, lambasted GES for taking such a decision.
“Why should you in a rush go and issue a statement interdicting the person, putting the person in the public for ridicule? Do you know you have humiliated the head? You have broken his confidence and that, you don’t handle professionals like that.
The matter should have been investigated. GES should do the needful by reinstating the man and let’s move forward, he came to meet the matter he didn’t create it,” he said.
The GES has stated that it is conducting a probe into a video on social media showing some students of the school using toilet cubicles as dormitories.
According to a statement issued dated April 16, the Regional Director of Education has asked both the head and senior housemaster to step aside for a thorough investigation.
“The Headmaster and the Senior Housemaster have been directed to step aside to allow for further investigations into the matter by the Regional Director of Education and report back in two weeks,” the statement signed by the Head of the Public Relations Unit, Cassandra Twum Ampofo disclosed.
It has thus sent a fact-finding delegation to probe and ascertain the truth or otherwise of the allegation.
Meanwhile, the headmaster, Mr Doughlas Haruna Yakubu has dispelled the video footage depicting students sleeping in toilet cubicles as trumped-up.
Mr Yakubu said the school has enough space to accommodate its students and thus there is no reason for students to be kept in toilet cubicles.
In his estimation, the footage was taken with malicious intent to cause public disaffection for the school.
Latest Stories
-
One dead, 4 injured in articulated truck collision at Assin Nsuta
7 minutes -
To Nationalise or Transform? Joy Business Hosts Roundtable on Ghana’s Extractive Future
11 minutes -
NACOC partners UPSA-RCC to train enumerators for baseline study on substance use among youth
17 minutes -
Kay Codjoe Writes: The dangerous romance between inciteful extremism and “free speech”
26 minutes -
From Ghana to Canada: The rising influence of Ghanaian scholars opening global doors for students
31 minutes -
Gender Ministry backs Black Maidens ahead of crucial World Cup qualifiers
35 minutes -
Many are called, but hostel fees have chosen few
42 minutes -
8 suspects arrested in killing of queen mother at Atebubu
49 minutes -
Raúl Castro indictment threatens to ignite war between US and Cuba
1 hour -
2026 Africa Bitcoin Day marked in Accra
1 hour -
US sanctions Tanzanian police official over alleged torture of human rights activists
1 hour -
Borrowing in April hit highest level since Covid
1 hour -
NCCE urges students, young people to lead fight against corruption
1 hour -
AI used to fake evidence that ended Korean actor’s career, say police
1 hour -
Swiss Armed Forces delegation engages GAF over peacekeeping cooperation at Burma Camp
1 hour