Audio By Carbonatix
Finance Minister, Ken Ofori-Atta says a review of the Free Senior High School policy remains a constant possibility.
He explains that the Education Minister continues to look at the policy with the aim of understanding how parents can be included in a manner that is not coercive.
“Review is constantly a possibility on the table. And it’s just to make sure that the appropriate education is given and that wastage is eliminated and it goes to give us value for money,” Mr. Ofori-Atta told Joy Business’ George Wiafe in an interview.
The Finance Minister is the second public official to recently make such an admission.
GES Director General Prof Kwasi Opoku Amankwah had earlier made such a pronouncement but later sought to clarify that was not what he intended to communicate.
The Ministry of Finance in a statement earlier this month indicated that the policy will not be suspended despite seeking support from the IMF.
It however noted that the IMF will be concerned about possible lack of finance and the ability of government to sustain its expenditure.
“Free SHS, the School Feeding programme, among others, are good social intervention programmes and it is the lack of financing and unsustainable debt burdens that could constrain a government’s ability to maintain its level of spending, including social or investment spending.
“In our situation, the IMF may ask Ghana to consider curtailing lower priority or non- productive spending (such as “white elephant” projects) as part of its fiscal adjustment but to preserve priority social spending, including on health and education.” the statement said on Thursday.
Mr. Ofori Atta on the business edition of PM express explained what the constant review will be seeking to achieve.
“We have maybe scholarship schemes that maybe you have to prove that you need a scholarship. We can get very sophisticated about that to ensure that you draw in parents in a way that is not coercive but never compromising on a citizen who is less than 18 years is able to get education.”
Latest Stories
-
Allied Health Professions Council cautions GFA on the practice license of Black Stars’ physiotherapist Carlos Lozano Romero
4 minutes -
PBC announces reopening of all buying centres; ready to clear excess cocoa beans
5 minutes -
GMTF Cardiothoracic Centre project at KATH shows early progress after goundbreaking
5 minutes -
‘Difficult’ Russia-Ukraine peace talks end without breakthrough
12 minutes -
NPP announces detailed timetable for branch and regional executive elections
22 minutes -
Black Starlets beat Port City 1-0 in pre-AFCON friendly
26 minutes -
Baby stolen from Mamprobi Polyclinic was running temperature after rescue – Gender Minister reveals
28 minutes -
Farewell, Dr. Abubakari Sidick Ahmed – A doyen of Ghanaian media
33 minutes -
It’s time to treat the OSP as what it was meant to be: An institution, not an experiment
44 minutes -
Police urge vigilance in health facilities following baby theft incident at Mamobi
49 minutes -
Ghana must invest in security intelligence to protect traders from terror—Security Analyst
53 minutes -
GITAC President warns Burkina Faso attack could hit Ghana’s agricultural trade
54 minutes -
Mali Sports Ministry orders Football Association to sack Tom Saintfiet
54 minutes -
Minority threatens to summon Finance Minister over cocoa payment delays
60 minutes -
Don’t share or download viral video circulated by foreign national – Sam George warns public
1 hour
