Audio By Carbonatix
Finance Minister, Ken Ofori-Atta says a review of the Free Senior High School policy remains a constant possibility.
He explains that the Education Minister continues to look at the policy with the aim of understanding how parents can be included in a manner that is not coercive.
“Review is constantly a possibility on the table. And it’s just to make sure that the appropriate education is given and that wastage is eliminated and it goes to give us value for money,” Mr. Ofori-Atta told Joy Business’ George Wiafe in an interview.
The Finance Minister is the second public official to recently make such an admission.
GES Director General Prof Kwasi Opoku Amankwah had earlier made such a pronouncement but later sought to clarify that was not what he intended to communicate.
The Ministry of Finance in a statement earlier this month indicated that the policy will not be suspended despite seeking support from the IMF.
It however noted that the IMF will be concerned about possible lack of finance and the ability of government to sustain its expenditure.
“Free SHS, the School Feeding programme, among others, are good social intervention programmes and it is the lack of financing and unsustainable debt burdens that could constrain a government’s ability to maintain its level of spending, including social or investment spending.
“In our situation, the IMF may ask Ghana to consider curtailing lower priority or non- productive spending (such as “white elephant” projects) as part of its fiscal adjustment but to preserve priority social spending, including on health and education.” the statement said on Thursday.
Mr. Ofori Atta on the business edition of PM express explained what the constant review will be seeking to achieve.
“We have maybe scholarship schemes that maybe you have to prove that you need a scholarship. We can get very sophisticated about that to ensure that you draw in parents in a way that is not coercive but never compromising on a citizen who is less than 18 years is able to get education.”
Latest Stories
-
Mali renews Barrick Mining’s Loulo license for 10 more years
39 minutes -
Gender pay gap won’t close for another 30 years, warns UK trade unions group
49 minutes -
No free pass for internet platforms on child safety, Starmer says
1 hour -
Andrew’s time as trade envoy should be investigated, says Vince Cable
1 hour -
‘Trump will be gone in three years’: Top Democrats try to reassure Europe
1 hour -
Cuban cigar festival called off as US blockade worsens energy crisis
2 hours -
Head of Dubai-based ports giant quits after Epstein links revealed
2 hours -
Nigeria’s state-owned NNPC records $4.2 billion after-tax profit in 2025
2 hours -
French tourist found dead in Chad after falling off cliff
2 hours -
Asuogyaman MP commissions four projects, breaks ground for more on birthday
2 hours -
GNFS averts potential petrol tanker explosion at Aveme Junction
2 hours -
Ferocious fire at Agatex Paint Factory in Ho contained
3 hours -
MTN Ghana drives nationwide blood mobilisation in partnership with Ho Teaching Hospital
3 hours -
MTN Ghana leads lifesaving blood drive as Ho Teaching Hospital warns of critical shortages
3 hours -
KNUST dominate maiden SEEDAfrique Relay Open Championship in Kumasi
3 hours
