Hackers have targeted Roblox profiles to support Donald Trump in the forthcoming US presidential election.
Users of the online multiplayer game complained their profiles were hacked with the message: “Ask your parents to vote for Trump this year!” and “MAGA2020”, an abbreviation of Make America Great Again.
Roblox has more than 100 million users worldwide.
It is marketed at children aged between nine and 14.
Players have reported that in-game messages have been sent from the hacked profiles to the account holders’ friends, urging them to support Trump in the November vote.
Hacked avatars have been dressed in existing in-game accessories which resemble items worn by Trump supporters.
This includes a red hat with “Running of the bulls” written in white, which looks like the Make America Great Again hats that the US president favours.
In addition, some characters are altered to wear a T-shirt featuring an American Eagle.
At the time of this writing, there were more than 1,000 profiles in Roblox that featured the phrase: “Ask your parents to vote for Trump this year!”
Some players have told the news site Bleeping Computer that they are still able to access their accounts and can change their profiles back again.
“A Trump supporter hacked my Roblox account and messaged my friends to vote for him,” one gamer wrote on Twitter.
“Why is my avatar this?” another wrote with a photo of their avatar. “I’m not even American.”
Roblox did not immediately respond to the BBC’s request for comment.
- Court of Appeal Judge to be investigated for ‘suspicious ruling’
- Ras Nene confronts Achimota Mall security for stopping his team from filming
- Ghana returns to gold top spot as output jumps 32%
- The Multimedia Group’s Lead Camera Technician, Modestus Zame laid to rest
- Tourists watch Russian man get devoured by shark on Egypt beach
- 2022/23 GPL final day: Medeama and Bechem title tug of war, Hearts of Oak’s relegation threat
- Playback: Burial service of The Multimedia Group’s Lead Camera Technician Modestus Zame
- Minority warns against turning Green Ghana Day events into corruption schemes
- ‘Spiritualist’ on trial for allegedly defrauding client of GHȼ85,000
- Economic crisis: Things will get better; but not this year – Badu-Aboagye
- Vice President Bawumia has never held British or any other citizenship – Gideon Boako
- Life lounge with Edem Knight-Tay: Only because she is a woman
- I’ve been forced out over Partygate report – Boris Johnson
- 2023 AFCONQ: Chris Hughton replaces injured Alexander Djiku with Kasim Adams
- Media Coalition Against Galamsey frustrated at non-prosecution of Akonta Mining directors
- ISSER recommends adoption of electric vehicles to achieve a low-carbon transport sector
- Prof Frimpong Boateng is a role model for fighting ‘galamsey’, follow his examples – German Ambassador urges Ghanaians
- Special Prosecutor is guest on Newsfile on Saturday, June 10
- Unemployment in Ghana is highest among female youth – ISSER report reveals alarming disparities
- GrEEn project plants 2,000 trees in Ashanti and Western regions
- Asantehene leads tree planting in Kumasi as part of Green Ghana Day initiative
- Johnnie Walker Black Label and Red Label ‘step out of boxes’
- Sankalp West Africa Summit 2023 on entrepreneurship slated for June 12
- French Open 2023: Novak Djokovic through to final after Carlos Alcaraz injury
- Man Utd owners spoke to PSG chairman about Sheikh Jassim bin Hamad Al Thani’s bid