Audio By Carbonatix
The Rwanda Football Federation has written to African football’s ruling body over worries about the threat of Ebola in Nigeria.
Rwanda are due to play the Super Eagles in Calabar on September 6 in a 2015 Africa Cup of Nations qualifier.
“We wrote a letter to the Confederation of African Football for their advice on the situation in Nigeria,” FERWAFA boss Vincent Nzamwita said.
“We’re waiting to see if they can change the game, it’s a big worry.”
He added the federation is also getting direction from the government of Rwanda, BBC Sport reports.
“If the government decides that the Amavubi does not travel, then we shall respect that,” he added.
So far there have been three confirmed deaths from Ebola in Nigeria, with all of the cases linked to the death of a Liberian visitor, Patrick Sawyer to Lagos on July 25.
The other two teams in Group A alongside Nigeria and Rwanda are South Africa and Sudan.
The outbreak has claimed the lives of more than a thousand people, mainly in Sierra Leone, Guinea and Liberia.
Caf has ordered Sierra Leone and Guinea to move their opening home Nations Cup qualifiers to neutral venues due to the outbreak.
Sierra Leone have approached Ghana to host their tie against DR Congo on 10 September.
The Ghana Football Association has said while it is keen to help out, it is “uncertain about the health implications for our country.”
As a result, the GFA has recommended that the Sierra Leone FA asks its government to make a formal request to the government of Ghana for consideration by the Ministry of Health.
Latest Stories
-
AGTC: How women-led initiative is turning golf into jobs and tourism opportunities
3 minutes -
Exporters call for single-digit interest rates to boost Ghana’s horticulture sector
7 minutes -
Young political leaders must look beyond party lines to strengthen Ghana’s democracy – EU
12 minutes -
25 female KNUST physics students receive GH¢87,500 Whittaker Foundation suppo
14 minutes -
Berekuso-Kwabenya-Kitase road project stalls as First Sky cites unsigned contract and funding challenges
17 minutes -
Interior Ministry urges strict enforcement of Armoured Bullion Vehicle standards in Ghana
19 minutes -
GNFS rescues trapped man after Ford F-150 crashes into Kia Rio at Suhum Niifio
21 minutes -
Firefighters need stronger protection from smoke, air pollution risks – Clean Air Fund
22 minutes -
Constitution guarantees speedy trials for all cases, not selected ones — Kpemka tells Deputy AG
22 minutes -
Hostel operators warn Rent Control action could worsen accommodation shortage at KNUST
24 minutes -
Fire Service equipment shortage persists as some appliances go 15 years without replacement
25 minutes -
Guinness Ghana DJ Awards 2026 nationwide tour kicks off in Winneba
27 minutes -
Afenyo-Markin accuses GoldBod management of ‘crass incompetence’ over alleged losses
27 minutes -
Livestream: National Mining Dialogue 2026 underway
36 minutes -
Small arms amnesty campaign boosts surrender, regularisation of weapons in Ashanti Region
43 minutes