The Sekondi High Court has ruled in favour of the Member of Parliament (MP) for Jomoro, Madam Dorcas Afo Toffey, on her dual citizenship suit in an election petition filed by one Mr. Eric Amuah Koffie, a resident of Jomoro.
The court, presided over by Justice Dr Richmond Osei Hwere after listening to an Ivorian government representative of the law court, ruled that the dual citizenship suit filed against the MP for Jomoro, was null and void.
According to the judge, the laws of La Cote Ivoire were explicit that as soon as citizenship status is conferred on someone in another country, that person automatically loses his or her citizenship of the other country.
The case was therefore dismissed and thrown out by the high court to allow Madam Dorcas Afo Toffey to continue to be the legitimately elected Member of Parliament for Jomoro in the December 2020 parliamentary elections.
Mr. Koffie, resident of the Jomoro constituency challenged the eligibility of the MP to contest as a representative of the people in the constituency since according to him, the MP was holding multiple nationalities including American and Ivorian citizenship which contravenes the 1992 constitution.
- Samuel Eto’o filmed brutally kneeing a man in the face after Brazil’s World Cup clash with South Korea
- Bank of Ghana upgrades one cedi coin
- Photos: Volta Regional NPP Secretary ties knot with Deputy Women’s Organiser
- Road toll to be collected electronically – Roads Minister
- We reject debt exchange programme; it will destroy savings of Ghanaians – Pensions Chamber
- Cedi likely to strengthen against dollar amidst debt sustainability outlook
- Debt exchange could land Ghana in very difficult times – Dr. Atuahene
- Government might have over-borrowed – John Kumah admits
- Presidents must have courage to reshuffle their ministers – Kufuor
- Parliament approves 2023 Budget and Economic Policy
- Cristina Fernández: Argentina vice-president found guilty of corruption
- Cyril Ramaphosa: How Arthur Fraser landed South Africa’s president in trouble
- PM Express Analysis: Paying more for Water & Electricity – A conversation with PURC Executive Secretary
- 2022 FIFA WC: Morocco takes charge of the African challenge after dumping Spain
- Public servants are justified in asking for increase in salaries – Minority Leader
- Police secures court remand for three persons involved in gold scam and robbery
- Banda Khalifa: The Manhyia Saga exemplifies a toxic work environment.
- Good Shepherd R/C JHS wins Junior Science and Maths Quiz 2022
- Masantewaa Emporium represents Ghana at Runway Dubai
- Ghana Muslim Mission commissions clinic for residents at Korle-Gonno
- Delay in speech development in children can be genetic – Speech therapist
- Tanzania to spend cash on schools instead of independence day
- Security guard gunned down on Tarkwa-Banso road
- Brosankro-Aprakukrom Murder: Bereaved families appeal to IGP
- Prices of hair extensions up as festive season nears