Audio By Carbonatix
Some victims of last week Thursday’s explosion in Apeatse are experiencing mild to moderate hearing loss, according to a retired ear, nose and throat surgeon, Dr. Paul Kwaw Ntodi.
The former Medical Director of the Effia Nkwanta Regional Hospital who is part of a team engaged in a medical screening of the affected persons says some of them now have ear infections.
He said the ear infection is as a result of the victims being unable to access the needed medication after they were prescribed for them.
Speaking to JoyNews’ Maxwell Agbagba, he said “we had a report to the Regional Director that some of the victims of the disaster had ear problems. Some had perforated ear drums, most of them bilateral perforation of the tympanic membrane in the ear drums with associated hearing loss.
“And so far, we’ve seen about 38 of the victims, most of them with bilateral perforation of the tympanic membrane of the ear drums. A few of them infected because even though they had been given prescriptions I think they did not manage to get some of the treatment and one or two had their middle ear infected. And almost all of them had mild to moderate hearing loss.”
He was, however, optimistic that most of them will likely not suffer permanent hearing loss, stating that they would recover their hearing in a week or two.
“so far I’m saying that most of them have problems with the conduction and the tympanic membrane, most of them will heal but few of them that are sensory neural will also heal within one or two weeks.
“One or two may have a permanent injury but so far we haven’t found any profound or complete loss of hearing in any of the victims examined,” he said.
Latest Stories
-
GNFS dismisses reports of unpaid 2025 rent allowance
55 minutes -
Gordon Asare-Bediako steps down from NPP Communications Director race, backs Dennis Aboagye
60 minutes -
GES dismisses requirement for newly promoted teachers to submit documents for salary adjustments
1 hour -
Meko Bono 2026: Vice President pledges agricultural revival as Atebubu hosts grand homecoming
2 hours -
Russian skydiver Sergey Boytcov sets world record with 11,551-metre stratosphere jump
2 hours -
Ablakwa-led committee submits five reports to Mahama ahead of 2027 AU chairmanship
2 hours -
Africa not seeking Western cash in reparations campaign – Ablakwa
3 hours -
Production decline, reserve depletion threaten Ghana’s upstream sector – Jinapor
3 hours -
Surveyors caution against treating compensation disputes as professional misconduct
3 hours -
Mahama calls for AU dialogue on migration after South Africa xenophobic tensions
3 hours -
I haven’t experienced any envy in the gospel music industry — Ohemaa Mercy
4 hours -
Prayer does not solve everything — Ohemaa Mercy
4 hours -
New PURC office symbolises stronger consumer protection – Dr Jinapor
5 hours -
Rev. Wengam re-elected Assemblies of God, Ghana General Superintendent
5 hours -
Less than 20km of clearing left to connect Accra-Kumasi Expressway to Kumasi – Agbodza
5 hours