Audio By Carbonatix
Umkhonto we Sizwe (MK) veteran, Patrick Mvundla's body has been returned to South Africa from Botswana to be reburied 31 years after his brutal murder by the apartheid government.
According to a statement released by the ANC Gauteng province, the ceremony will be held on Saturday at Naledi community hall. He will be buried at Lenasia cemetery.
"The African National Congress Gauteng Province and Mvundla family will on Saturday, 28 September 2019 rebury the mortal remains of Comrade Patrick Mvundla.
"This follows the official handover of his remains to his family by the Minister of Justice and Correctional Services Ronald Lamola on 7 September 2019," the party said.
Mvundla, who was a resident of Soweto in Johannesburg, left South Africa in 1979 to join the ANC in exile where he became a member of the armed wing, changing his name to Naledi Sehume.
He underwent military training and was deployed to Botswana in 1985 where he became a regional commander.
In Botswana he was known as Charles Mokwena.
In March 1988 Special Forces members of the South African Defence Force (SADF) attacked his house in Gaberone.
He was shot dead along with three Bostwana nationals.
"The house and their bodies were then set on fire. A fellow MK member, Vuyani Hatto, managed to escape," the ANC explained.
"The bodies of Comrade Patrick Mvundla and the three Botswana nationals, namely Martha Bondo Madisa, Masego Ikgopoleng Ketshabile and Thankie Seokamo were buried side by side in Gaborone by the Botswana government on 6 April 1988."
Mvundla's remains were exhumed in July by a government delegation including the Department of Military Veterans, the Department of Justice, the Missing Persons Task Team in the NPA with the help of the South African High Commissioner in Botswana.
"The forensic examination of the exhumed remains established that the cause of death was at least five high velocity gunshot wounds to the pelvis and chest with the body burnt thereafter," the ANC said.
Latest Stories
-
Keta MP offers relief to Afiadenyigba SHS after fire outbreak
12 seconds -
UMaT graduates 95 students, commits to training 1,000 coders
3 minutes -
Modified Taxation Scheme: Ghana’s surest way to inclusive tax administration
14 minutes -
Asunafo North Cocoa Farmers Union and partners rescue rural schools from infrastructure crisis
22 minutes -
Africa must become a destination for investment, not aid — Deputy Finance Minister
52 minutes -
Regulation by invoicing: Systemic flaws in NITA’s licensing push and threat to Ghana’s digital trust
55 minutes -
‘I’m sick and tired of this country’ – Ghanaian in South Africa pour out frustrations at meeting with Foreign Affairs Minister
1 hour -
‘Mum’s dementia means I live in the moment with her’
1 hour -
Energy Commission champions Clean Energy Transition
2 hours -
International Day of the Boy Child marked in Accra
2 hours -
BoG losses will not recur at last year’s scale — Governor Asiama assures
2 hours -
Without trust, digital finance is just technology – BoG Governor
3 hours -
Mental disorders increase by 95.5% globally since 1990 – Study
3 hours -
See the areas that will be affected by ECG’s planned maintenance on May 25
3 hours -
Fire destroys six-bedroom house in Koforidua
4 hours