Audio By Carbonatix
South Sudan's opposition has accused the government of trying to enforce "authoritarian control and one-tribe rule" after First Vice President Riek Machar was charged with orchestrating militia attacks and suspended from his role.
Machar's SPLM-IO party rejected the charges against him and 20 others, which included murder, treason and crimes against humanity for their alleged involvement in raids by the White Army militia in the northeast in March.
Machar's detention under house arrest since March has ignited international fears of a renewal of a devastating 2013-2018 civil war between his ethnic Nuer forces and Dinka fighters loyal to his longtime rival, President Salva Kiir.
Kiir and Machar served in a unity government as part of a peace deal that ended the war, but their partnership remained strained and sporadic violence has continued between the two sides.
"The charges are fabricated to abrogate the (peace agreement), sideline Dr. Machar and the SPLM-IO, and entrench total government control," Machar's SPLM-IO party said in a statement late on Thursday shortly after the justice ministry announced the charges.
Political analysts say Kiir has long been seeking to replace Machar with his close ally, Second Vice President Benjamin Bol Mel, who was sanctioned by the U.S. over suspicions that he received preferential treatment in securing government contracts.
South Sudanese officials have asked the U.S. to lift those sanctions during recent bilateral discussions, Joseph Szlavik, a lobbyist working for Juba in Washington, told Reuters last month.
Those conversations have also touched on sending more U.S. deportees to South Sudan following the arrival in July of eight men, including seven from third countries, Szlavik said.
Latest Stories
-
Inter-Agency Football Gala: YEA organize event as part of National Youth Month celebration
21 minutes -
NSMQ 2026: St. Francis Xavier deny debutants Pentecost SHS one-eighth spot
1 hour -
NSMQ 2026: Tamale SHS sweep aside Kalpohin, Wenchi Methodist to reach one-eighth stage
2 hours -
NSMQ 2026: Tears of relief as Labone SHS survive Notre Dame Sem. in thriller to secure one-eighth spot
2 hours -
Onga Tomato Mix unveils Diana Hamilton as Brand Ambassador
2 hours -
NSMQ 2026: Winneba Secondary School holds off Fijai SHS to reach one-eighth stage
3 hours -
KNUST assures staff, public over statute review process amid UTAG concerns
3 hours -
CLOGSAG Executive Secretary Dr Isaac Bampoe Addo passes on
3 hours -
Take post-flood disinfection seriously to prevent disease outbreaks – Environmental Health Officer backs Zoomlion
3 hours -
Zoomlion launches fumigation exercise across 14 MMDAs in Western Region
3 hours -
UTAG-KNUST votes to retain elections for Pro-Vice Chancellors and Deans
3 hours -
Newsfile to discuss nationwide blackouts, GoldBod controversy, galamsey and water quality
3 hours -
Adamus must settle GRA, MIIF and financial institutions liabilities under new turnaround roadmap
4 hours -
Big Chef Season Five returns with Gari Fotor Challenge this Sunday
4 hours -
Gov’t to form 6-member team to supervise Adamus mine turnaround
4 hours