Liverpool undoubtedly have a new king at Anfield and his name is Mo Salah. The Egyptian international had an incredibly impressive debut season on Merseyside, one that perhaps even exceeded his own expectations.
His signing from Italian outfit Roma last Summer heralded a return to the Premier League after a largely forgettable spell with Chelsea. Out of favour under Jose Mourinho, the 26-year-old had to revive his career with a pair of loan spells in Italy.
First it was Fiorentina who acquired his services in the second half of 2015, their confidence in Salah was repaid handsomely as he provided six goals in 16 league appearances. A statistic that was enough to get the attention of their rivals Roma. On Mansion, he was almost favourite to end up best goal scorer of the Serie A, even though he was still a young player that hadn’t prove that much.
They managed to beat Fiorentina to the front of the queue when the former Basel star was put up for loan by Chelsea once more. Again, it seemed as if Salah was much more suited to Italian football as he scored 14 league goals in the 2015/16 campaign.
That haul was enough to lead Roma to third in the table at the end of the season, and more importantly he had become indispensable to the club from the Italian capital as they made his loan deal a permanent one.
If his first season in Roma colours was one that earned many plaudits then his second was even better, this time he returned 15 goals in 31 matches. A ratio that saw him score for the Giallorossi once every other Serie A fixture.
However, it was at this point that he was once again on the radar of Europe’s biggest clubs. Roma were reluctant to sell their key man, but unfortunately, they knew they could not stop such a talented player from making the much-deserved step up in his career. On betting websites, where everyone can actually play bingo as well, it was clear that Salah was about to move to Liverpool this summer.
And that’s exactly what he did, and it is almost as if he had a point to prove after such a lacklustre spell in West London. If this was the case then he certainly proved it after running opposition defences ragged last season.
On a personal level it could not have gone much better as he won the Premier League Golden Boot after ending the season as top scorer, a phenomenal 32 goals even pipped Tottenham’s Harry Kane to the much-coveted accolade.
And although there was bitter disappointment in the Champions League Final after he went off early due to a shoulder injury, there is no doubting that he played a huge part in the Reds’ difficult road to Kyiv. Some people even enjoyed onlinecasino code to bet on the game right after his injury as the odds totally changed at the moment Salah went off the pitch.
After such an amazing first season with Liverpool, many will ask as to whether he is just a one season wonder or whether he can improve further. Real Madrid have reportedly been monitoring his transfer situation and will be keen to make a bid for him should he sustain his previous level of performances.
He may not have turned too many heads in Russia while on international duty this Summer, but at the same time he was obviously not fully fit. However, with a full pre-season behind him he will be raring to go once more and this could mean bad news for defences in both England and Europe.
Have your say
More Sports Headlines
- Black Queens begin quest for first AWCON title on Saturday
- VAR set to be used in Premier League next season
- Kwesi Appiah defends Ghana's big-name recalls
- Mourinho better than Guardiola - Maradona
- Wayne Rooney to be England captain during farewell appearance
- 46 Sports Associations to benefit from GHASSEP Seminars
- UGBS Marketing lecturer argues Hearts-Umbro deal will cut local jobs
- U-17 WWC: All the best photos as Black Maidens make winning start
- Claudio Ranieri appointed as Fulham boss
- Santiago Solari appointed Real Madrid head coach until 2021
- U-17 WWC: Abdulai hat-trick leads Ghana past hosts Uruguay
- Dinnage to become first female Premier League chief executive
- U-17 WWC: Ghana coach eyes winning start against Uruguay
- 10 winners emerge in Maltavator Challenge season 2 Takoradi edition
- Solari to get Real Madrid job on permanent basis