Chelsea legend Frank Lampard has urged rising star Callum Hudson-Odoi to turn down Bayern Munich’s advances and continue his career at Stamford Bridge.
Chelsea have reportedly accepted a bid of around £35million from Bayern for Hudson-Odoi and the 18-year-old forward is seriously considering the move after witnessing Jadon Sancho’s meteoric rise in Germany.
Hudson-Odoi has only made one substitute appearance in the Premier League this season but has starred in cup competitions for the Blues. Lampard has admired Hudson-Odoi’s performances from afar and hopes the England Under-19 international is still a Chelsea player when the January transfer window closes.
‘Being close to Chelsea, I want him to stay there. It is a great club, a fantastic club,’ the former midfielder said. ‘He needs to stay there and work hard to get chances to play in the team.
‘He has done that recently and he has played, and done very well in the last couple of games. ‘Hopefully, we will see more of that. I think it is a great opportunity for him to do that.’
Marcos Alonso also believes Hudson-Odoi should reject Bayern and become a ‘great player’ at Stamford Bridge.
The Spaniard said: ‘He is a good player, but he is very young. He needs to have patience and to be hungry and fight for a place in this team.
‘That is all he needs to do, he has all the conditions to be a great player, now it is up to him to fight for a place here or try to find more minutes somewhere else.
‘Bayern Munich? We are Chelsea, another great team and the Premier League is the most competitive league in the world. ‘I don’t know why someone would go to Bayern Munich.’
Hudson-Odoi is the son of former Hearts of Oak Ghanaian midfielder Bismark Odoi which makes him eligible to play for the senior national team, Black Stars, despite representing England at every age group from under-16 to under-19 level.
He was an influential figure as England won the Fifa U-17 World Cup in 2017.
Have your say
More Sports Headlines
- Kofi Amoah to stay in new look Fifa Normalisation Committee, 3 others to leave
- PSG win legal battle with UEFA over FFP investigation
- Opare replaces Yiadom in Black Stars squad to face Kenya
- Xavi says 48-team Qatar World Cup would be too long
- Hudson-Odoi 'shocked' to receive first England call-up
- Ronaldo charged by UEFA over goal celebration
- CAF Rankings: Ghana gains one coefficient point after Kotoko campaign
- Messi humbled by Betis fans' standing ovation
- CAF CC: Akonnor refuses to blame lack of football activity for early exit
- Incredible Messi hat-trick earns standing ovation from Betis fans
- Inter edge Milan derby in five-goal thriller
- SCOREBOARD: Results from top European leagues
- CAF CC: Asante Kotoko suffer group stage exit
- Atletico-Barca clash sets attendance record for women's club game
- Keerapa Active to construct ultra-modern football facility in Sogakope