Chelsea legend Frank Lampard has urged rising star Callum Hudson-Odoi to turn down Bayern Munich’s advances and continue his career at Stamford Bridge.
Chelsea have reportedly accepted a bid of around £35million from Bayern for Hudson-Odoi and the 18-year-old forward is seriously considering the move after witnessing Jadon Sancho’s meteoric rise in Germany.
Hudson-Odoi has only made one substitute appearance in the Premier League this season but has starred in cup competitions for the Blues. Lampard has admired Hudson-Odoi’s performances from afar and hopes the England Under-19 international is still a Chelsea player when the January transfer window closes.
‘Being close to Chelsea, I want him to stay there. It is a great club, a fantastic club,’ the former midfielder said. ‘He needs to stay there and work hard to get chances to play in the team.
‘He has done that recently and he has played, and done very well in the last couple of games. ‘Hopefully, we will see more of that. I think it is a great opportunity for him to do that.’
Marcos Alonso also believes Hudson-Odoi should reject Bayern and become a ‘great player’ at Stamford Bridge.
The Spaniard said: ‘He is a good player, but he is very young. He needs to have patience and to be hungry and fight for a place in this team.
‘That is all he needs to do, he has all the conditions to be a great player, now it is up to him to fight for a place here or try to find more minutes somewhere else.
‘Bayern Munich? We are Chelsea, another great team and the Premier League is the most competitive league in the world. ‘I don’t know why someone would go to Bayern Munich.’
Hudson-Odoi is the son of former Hearts of Oak Ghanaian midfielder Bismark Odoi which makes him eligible to play for the senior national team, Black Stars, despite representing England at every age group from under-16 to under-19 level.
He was an influential figure as England won the Fifa U-17 World Cup in 2017.
Have your say
More Sports Headlines
- 'Messi the best in every world' – Boateng turns back on Ronaldo allegiances
- Ronaldo accepts €18.8m deal over tax evasion
- Emiliano Sala: Cardiff City player on missing plane
- Tsitsipas reaches Australian Open semi-finals
- New Barcelona signing Boateng 'a little sad' to leave Sassuolo
- Boateng becomes first Ghanaian, 14th African to join Barcelona
- OFFICIAL: Barcelona announce loan signing of Kevin-Prince Boateng
- Boateng confirms surprise move to Barcelona
- Barcelona to sign Kevin-Prince Boateng from Sassuolo
- Serena Williams knocks out Simona Halep in epic Australian Open clash
- CAF CC: Kotoko draw Al Hilal, Zesco and Nkana in group stage
- CAF CL: Sundowns beat Wydad as Mazembe lose in Algeria
- Solomon Akumba wins Maltavator Challenge Season 2
- CAF CC: Kotoko players to receive $500 each qualification bonus
- Ashgold thrash Medeama to win Betway Cup