Audio By Carbonatix
The Ghana Standards Board (GSB) would strictly enforce the ban on the importation, distribution and sale of used undergarments from February next year, Mr. Kofi Nagetey, Director of the Inspectorate Division of the Board, said on Monday.
He was speaking at a meeting with used clothes dealers organized by the GSB as part of its education programme to prevent the importation and clearance of used undergarments at Takoradi.
Mr Nagetey said the GSB would undertake swoops with the security agencies to get rid of used undergarments on the market.
He said all consignments of used undergarments would be inspected by the GSB before release at the various ports and entry points.
"Any consignment of used goods found to contain any used undergarments would be confiscated and destroyed", Mr. Nagetey said.
He said presently, the Board had mounted public education on the dangers of wearing used undergarments for importers and dealers particularly at Accra, Kumasi and Takoradi.
Mr. Nagetey said the board had intensified market surveillance and is also engaging with stakeholders especially the Association of Importers and dealers in used clothing to work together to bring to the barest minimum the importation and clearance of undergarments because of the health risks involved.
He said Legislative Instrument (LI) 1586 which was passed in 1994 bans the importation, clearance and sale of used undergarments.
Mr Nagetey said despite the ban importers of used clothing had been importing used undergarments including brassieres, pants, handkerchiefs and singlet.
He said these prohibited goods are hidden among other used clothing like shirts, trousers and jackets in bales to make it difficult to detect them at the ports.
Source: GNA
DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
Tags:
DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
Latest Stories
-
Ronaldinho seeks 300th goal with comeback aged 46
4 hours -
Your voice, your future – Opare Addo opens National Youth Forum 2026
4 hours -
GRA pushes data-driven tax administration to boost revenue mobilisation
4 hours -
NSMQ 2026: Presby SHS, Bompata crushes Sacred Heart’s hopes of reaching one-eighth stage
4 hours -
Africa Golf Tourism Convention opens in South Africa to unlock opportunities
4 hours -
BOGISS alleged sexual assault: Dr Apaak demands protection for autism victim
4 hours -
GTEC trains tertiary officials on new affiliation quality assurance framework
4 hours -
Luv FM High School Debate: OKESS, OSASS silence K’Wey Gey and KASS in fierce round of 16
4 hours -
Alcaraz to play US Open after four months out
4 hours -
Even if all foreigners leave, South Africa’s problems will remain – Dr Yamson blames state failure
5 hours -
Mahama announces GH¢500m district housing programme; rollout to begin this year
5 hours -
Energy Committee yet to receive July 29 blackout report – Adomako-Mensah
5 hours -
Five in six Ghana health facilities fall short of basic sanitation standard – WHO/UNICEF
5 hours -
Mohammed Fuseini in talks over Troyes move from Union SG
6 hours -
‘Bear with the system’ – Energy Ministry says temporary power control room to be ready by September
6 hours