Regional

Steel bender electrocuted at Tema Community 7

 A steel bender working at the apex of a two-storey building at Tema Community Seven has been electrocuted.

Efo Newton, 45, got electrocuted on Friday morning when he came into contact with a high voltage live cable near the building.

A co-worker, Maxwell Koomson, said they reported to work in the early hours of Friday and Mr Newton proceeded to the top of the structure to bend and bind steel.

He added that they later felt an electric wave within the building, which caused them to rush to the top only to see his lifeless body with folded arms on top of the bend steels.

Assemblymember for the Union Electoral area, Kwesi Asumaning, said he was informed about the incident at about 7 am and rushed to the scene.

He added that he subsequently informed the Electricity Company of Ghana (ECG) to cut power supply to the area as a precautionary measure while a complaint was lodged at the Tema Community 8 Police Station.

The body has since been removed and deposited at the Tema General Hospital for preservation and autopsy.