Novak Djokovic recovered from throwing away the fourth set to deny Roger Federer a record eighth Wimbledon title with a 6-7(7) 6-4 7-6(4) 5-7 6-4 victory in an enthralling final.
It had looked as though Federer would clinch his 18th Grand Slam crown, but Djokovic held his nerve in the decider to claim his second Wimbledon title.The top seed surrendered a mini-break in the opening set tie-break as Federer roared back to claim it 9-7.
But Djokovic responded to reel off the next two sets before establishing an early break in the fourth.Former world number one Federer hit back immediately, only to throw away his serve moments later to leave Djokovic two games from victory at 4-2.
However, there was more drama as Federer broke back with Djokovic serving for the championships and then survived match point on his own serve to tie the set at 5-5.The momentum was with the Swiss star and he completed a remarkable turnaround when he broke serve again before serving it out to force a decider to the delight of the Centre Court crowd.
But, just as the contest seemed destined to drag on into the night, Djokovic broke Federer in the 10th game in the fifth set to seal a hard-fought victory.Djokovic fell to the floor and, rather bizarrely, chose to eat a blade of the Wimbledon grass to celebrate.
- I have received calls to stop disconnection exercise – ECG boss
- Bride ‘faints’ briefly as Joe Mettle pops up at her wedding reception
- Ato Forson was criminally reckless in ambulance transaction – Attorney General
- We are one people – Bawumia and Mahama laud peaceful enskinment of new Yagbonwura
- George Addo Jnr appointed Director of Communications at UK’s Coach Hene Sports Club
- My divorce drew me closer to God – New EC member Rev. Akua Ofori Boateng
- Your electricity bill does not have a party colour – ECG MD
- Ghana Immigration Service cancels filling of embarkation and disembarkation forms
- Akufo-Addo is packing EC with known NPP members – Kofi Adams
- We’ll meter all distribution transformers to fight power theft – Samuel Mahama
- Herbert Mensah receives rousing welcome after Rugby Africa Election win
- Proposed tax measures not new; to boost fiscal economy – Finance Ministry
- My vision is to become a servant for Keta and help with development – Dr Kojo Mensah
- I was praised for singing Teni’s song in church – New EC member
- Quick Angels supports 10 entrepreneurs with ¢25,000 each
- Should ECG stop revenue mobilisation exercise?
- Licensing cybersecurity professionals is critical – Antwi-Boasiako
- KNUST SRC to create permanent seat for disabled students
- Things we do to escape the economic hardship
- Fred Nuamah suspects foul play amid struggle to file nomination forms
- I didn’t intend to mock ‘adowa’ music in Amerado beef song – Lyrical Joe
- Chris Hughton reveals AFCON target ahead of Angola tie
- ‘Hatred or truth’ – Woman’s message to son’s girlfriend shocks social media users
- AFCON 2023Q: Mohammed Salisu only fitness doubt ahead of Angola clash
- Directing CID to probe Jubilee House ‘galamsey’ claims could be plot to clear officials of wrongdoing – Dr Apaak