Audio By Carbonatix
At least one in five people, including half of schoolchildren, were infected with swine flu during the first year of the pandemic in 2009, according to data from 19 countries.
It is thought the virus killed 200,000 people around the world.
A World Health Organization-led study looked for evidence of the body's immune system fighting the virus.
It showed large numbers of people had been infected, although not all would have developed full-blown flu.
The H1N1 virus first appeared in Mexico in 2009 and rapidly spread around the world.
Anti-bodies
An international group of researchers looked at more than 90,000 blood samples before and during the pandemic in countries including India, Australia and the UK.
They looked for antibodies which are produced when the body is infected with H1N1.
By comparing the figures before and during the pandemic, the researchers can determine how many people were infected as the virus spread around the world.
Approximately 24% of people had been infected overall, but half of school-age children showed signs of infection.
One of the researchers, Dr Maria Van Kerkhove from Imperial College London, said fewer than two in every 10,000 people infected died during the pandemic.
"However, those that did die are much younger than in seasonal flu so the years of life lost will be much more," she told the BBC.
"The figures drive home how incredibly infectious the virus is," she said.
Many older people, who typically die during outbreaks of flu, were protected as they had been exposed to the virus decades before.
Prof John Oxford, a virology expert at Queen Mary, University of London, said the figures "make sense".
"It was the busiest virus on the block and it displaced other influenza viruses - it was the only virus in town."
He said a similar pattern would be expected in other countries which were not analysed in the study.
DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
Tags:
DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
Latest Stories
-
Blame OSP for delaying SML case – Corporate Counsel
3 minutes -
GFD condemns BOGISS over disciplinary action against 14-year-old allegedly abused by watchmen
24 minutes -
Exhibitors showcase housing solutions at JoyNews Republic Bank Habitat Fair at Achimota Mall
25 minutes -
Dr. Bawumia reiterates call for inclusion and unity at meeting with new Savannah and Western regional NPP executives
30 minutes -
I’ll consider review — Oppong Nkrumah hints at next move after Supreme Court dismisses injunction
54 minutes -
Bodies of two hikers missing for decades found after Swiss glacier melts
1 hour -
NSMQ 2026: North East Region denied one-eighth stage as Kumasi High kicks out Nalerigu
1 hour -
Useless Column: ‘Weytin do Akosua?’
1 hour -
Context Matters: Understanding the Tony Elumelu First-Name Debate – Afanyi Dadzie writes
1 hour -
Microwaving is safe, but minimise aluminium foil use – Food Scientist advices
1 hour -
Supreme Court clears way for legal vacation criminal trials, dismisses Oppong Nkrumah’s injunction bid
2 hours -
Restaurant portions, surplus food worsening Ghana’s food waste problem — Food Scientist
2 hours -
NPP extends 2026 National Officers Elections filing deadline to August 29
2 hours -
NDC has not shown it can manage power sector effectively — Fiifi Boafo
2 hours -
Ghana secured US$2.6bn FDIs in 2025 – GIPC Report
2 hours