Police in Tanzania have confirmed the arrest of several opposition figures, including the chairperson of the Chadema party, Freeman Mbowe, ahead of Monday’s planned protests.
Police say the arrested politicians wanted to disrupt peace while protesting against the results of last week’s elections.
The Chadema and ACT-Wazalendo parties have called for mass action from Monday to demand fresh elections.
Incumbent President John Magufuli was declared winner with 84% of the vote. His Chama Cha Mapenduzi (CCM) party also won an overwhelming majority in parliament.
The head of police in the commercial hub of Dar es Salaam, Lazaro Mambosasa, said Monday’s planned protests would not be allowed.
He said some opposition figures were planning violent protests.
Others arrested include former Arusha Mjini MP Godbless Lema, former mayor Boniface Jacob.
- Social media reacts to KT Hammond’s criticism of youth who hooted at Akufo-Addo
- ‘I get only ¢47 as pension’ – Nkrumah’s bodyguard laments life after president’s death
- “Very frustrating” – Asamoah Gyan on Black Stars midfielders not passing to strikers
- Footage for Akufo-Addo’s tourism video was acquired legitimately from an agency – GTA on Kirani Ayat’s theft claims
- “We shall also be blessed with Ghana Miracle” – Finance Minister speaks on economy recovery
- You can’t lead Ghana with your coconut heads – KT Hammond to those who booed Akufo-Addo
- Finance Minister to announce 5-member committee as part of moves to protect financial system
- ‘They were cheering him’ – Okraku-Mantey on Akufo-Addo’s booing at Global Citizen Festival
- ‘I buy my own fuel’ – Deputy Tourism Minister
- The art exhibition that took Christian rituals literally brutal
- Indian Official mocks schoolgirl’s sanitary pad request
- Ghana’s return to capital market may take 3 years due to junk status ratings – Ofori-Atta
- Today’s front pages: Thursday, September 29, 2022
- ‘Marriage is not about ministry’ – Counselor tells pastors
- Gangsta’s Paradise rapper, Coolio dead at 59
- I support Kirani Ayat’s copyright case against GTA, Tourism Ministry – Sarkodie
- Measures implemented to contain cedi depreciation paying off – Government
- Merqury Republic calls for registration for 2022 Ghana DJ Clinic
- We’ll fast-track IMF negotiations to ensure key aspects of programme is captured in 2023 budget – Ofori-Atta
- KNUST Mastercard Foundation scholars urged to use social media to boost entrepreneurial activities
- Moussa Dadis Camara: Guinea’s ex-military ruler on trial over stadium massacre
- Ethiopia’s Tigray war: Satellite images capture troop build-up near Eritrea border
- $2.4 billion mobilised from 2022 Global Citizen Festival campaign – Vice President
- Joining UN Global Compact a step towards ensuring investor confidence – DBG CEO
- Araba Opoku inspires hope, beauty and satisfaction with Whispers Down The Lane exhibition