Audio By Carbonatix
Dr Timothy Letsa, the Volta Regional Director of the Ghana Health Service (GHS), on Thursday said free tuberculosis treatment is available to patients regardless of whether they are registered under the National Health Insurance Scheme or not.
He said TB treatment under a national social intervention policy had been free before the inception of the National Health Insurance Scheme and still remained free.
Dr Letsa was opening a day's orientation on TB for staff of the Information Services Department (ISD) in the Volta Region in Ho, organized by the HIV/TB Desk at the Volta Regional Directorate of the GHS.
He noted that in some cases, treatment centres would provide patients with food packages to raise their nutritional state and some cash to mitigate cost of commuting between place of residence and treatment centres.
Dr Letsa said incentives are also available to families of patients coached to monitor compliance of those patients in taking their drugs during the long treatment period.
Mr Joe Degley, GHS Volta Regional Coordinator of HIV/TB, said the scheme to rope in the Information Services Department in the fight against TB was a national approach to raising knowledge about the disease countrywide.
He added that the Volta Region seeks to achieve 85 percent TB cure rate in 2010, 70 percent detection rate, reduce morbidity and mortality and transmission through awareness creation.
Mr Degley said numbers and capacity of diagnostic and treatment centres were being increased and monitoring and reporting improved.
A total of 1,579 cases of TB were recorded in the region last year.
Source: GNA
DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
Tags:
DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
Latest Stories
-
Ronaldinho seeks 300th goal with comeback aged 46
1 hour -
Your voice, your future – Opare Addo opens National Youth Forum 2026
1 hour -
GRA pushes data-driven tax administration to boost revenue mobilisation
2 hours -
NSMQ 2026: Presby SHS, Bompata crushes Sacred Heart’s hopes of reaching one-eighth stage
2 hours -
Africa Golf Tourism Convention opens in South Africa to unlock opportunities
2 hours -
BOGISS alleged sexual assault: Dr Apaak demands protection for autism victim
2 hours -
GTEC trains tertiary officials on new affiliation quality assurance framework
2 hours -
Luv FM High School Debate: OKESS, OSASS silence K’Wey Gey and KASS in fierce round of 16
2 hours -
Alcaraz to play US Open after four months out
2 hours -
Even if all foreigners leave, South Africa’s problems will remain – Dr Yamson blames state failure
2 hours -
Mahama announces GH¢500m district housing programme; rollout to begin this year
2 hours -
Energy Committee yet to receive July 29 blackout report – Adomako-Mensah
2 hours -
Five in six Ghana health facilities fall short of basic sanitation standard – WHO/UNICEF
2 hours -
Mohammed Fuseini in talks over Troyes move from Union SG
3 hours -
‘Bear with the system’ – Energy Ministry says temporary power control room to be ready by September
3 hours