Audio By Carbonatix
A 19-year-old famous for his Twitter account that tracks Elon Musk's private jet was on Friday offered a free Tesla to delete it – but rejected the offer.
Jack Sweeney had said previously that he'd take a free Tesla from Musk in exchange for deleting the account, having rejected an offer of $5,000 from the Tesla CEO.
On Twitter Friday, Scott Painter, CEO of Autonomy, a car-hire company, offered Sweeney a subscription to a Tesla Model 3 if he deleted the Musk jet-tracking account. The Wall Street Journal reported that the offer was for a three-year subscription.
Sweeney responded: "I told you I'm not interested in a subscription besides, there are numerous facts that suggest this is in conjunction with Elon."
In an interview with The Journal on Friday, Sweeney explained why he came to his decision. "I want my own car. I don't want to have to give it back in three years," he said. "If I got an actual Tesla, then I would take it down."
Sweeney did not immediately respond to Insider's request for comment.
His jet-tracking account uses bots that monitor publicly-available air-traffic data.
After turning down $5,000 from Musk to delete the account, Sweeney told Insider he refused the offer because it wasn't enough to replace the satisfaction he gets from running the account.
In his initial conversation with Musk, which occurred via Twitter direct messages in fall 2021 and was first reported by Protocol, Musk said: "Can you take this down? It is a security risk."
Sweeney replied: "Yes I can but it'll cost you a Model 3 only joking unless?"
Musk responded: "How about $5k for this account and generally helping make it harder for crazy people to track me?"
Sweeney said: "Sounds doable, account and all my help. Any chance to up that to $50K?" He cited college funding and told the billionaire the money could go toward buying a Tesla Model 3.
Latest Stories
-
NITA defends ICT fees, rejects claims of ‘digital coup’
35 minutes -
“Put people first” – Vice-President tells global financial giants at ACI Congress
1 hour -
Vice-President commissions 100 new Metro Mass buses
2 hours -
“You do not need my permission” – Bagbin clears misconception over arresting MPs
2 hours -
Ice baths, almond milk, meditation and a ‘house like a hospital’: The secrets of Salah’s success
2 hours -
This Saturday on Prime Insight: GN Savings and Loans licence restoration and the Abronye bail debate
4 hours -
Putin vows retaliation after accusing Ukraine of hitting student dormitory
4 hours -
2026 ACI World Congress: In Accra, a quiet reframe of how emerging markets see themselves
4 hours -
No break-in, no theft at Ashaiman showroom – Hisense Ghana clarifies
4 hours -
This Saturday on Newsfile: Attack on free speech and return of GN Bank
5 hours -
Opinion: The evidence before High Court continues to expose weakness of the Republic’s case against Wontumi
5 hours -
Ebola risk raised to ‘very high’ in DR Congo
5 hours -
I recommended Haruna and Muntaka for ministerial roles — Asiedu Nketia
5 hours -
The Cost of Macroeconomic Stabilization: An Analysis of the Bank ofGhana’s 2025 Financial Deficit
6 hours -
Isaac Nlason elected SRC President of the Ghana School of Law
6 hours