Audio By Carbonatix
Following his final training session this Monday in Manacor, Rafael Nadal feels that his work is done and he's ready to return to competition.
The world number 3, after being unable to play for the last month with appendicitis, will have his next official match in the Qatar Open, his eighth official return to competition after a long period out injured. This season alone, after missing the ATP Masters 1000 tournaments in Toronto and Cincinnati, and the US Open - with an injury to his right wrist - he only managed to make a temporary return in Peking.
Straight after that he started suffering from appendicitis, when he was in Shanghai to play the year's second last Masters tournament.
Boris Becker, a former tennis great who now trains Novak Djokovic alongside Marian Vajda, described Nadal's original return to action as "the best return I've seen in tennis". This was in reference to the 2013 campaign, when, after having been out of action for seven months due to a partial rupture in the rotulian tendon, Nadal won ten titles in a row, claiming his eighth Roland Garros and second US Open in the process.
"What happened in 2013 is unrepeatable. First of all I'm two years older", Nadal said. There is a real test waiting to welcome him back to the circuit in Abu Dhabi and Doha: world number 1 Novak Djokovic.
Latest Stories
-
Prof Gyampo Writes: Democracy, free speech and the survival of the Ghanaian polity
7 minutes -
e-Crime Bureau hosts inaugural Founder’s Opera Soiree on AI-era leadership and cyber threats
12 minutes -
Mahama rejects ‘kenkey and waakye party’ celebration after IMF exit, says economy still work in progress
18 minutes -
David Hundeyin to release documentary on Tanzania election violence coverage
1 hour -
Photos: President Mahama cuts sod for 24-hour economy market in Bole
2 hours -
Ghana-eligible midfielder Kofi Amoako joins Hamburg from Dynamo Dresden
2 hours -
Mahama commissions Yamoransa Model Lab 13 to advance STEM and digital skills training
2 hours -
Youth Ministry says nearly 90,000 young people are employed under government programmes
3 hours -
Adaklu Mountain now a security zone – Volta Regional Minister
4 hours -
Volta Regional Minister assures PAC of stricter supervision of government projects
4 hours -
Can Parliament enforce its own laws?
4 hours -
ECG announces major transformer upgrade at Batsonaa – see the affected areas
4 hours -
Ghanaian released after 77 days in Burkinabe detention
4 hours -
Football Noise, Economic Silence
4 hours -
Replacing Haruna and Muntaka in Parliament was strategic for Election 2024 – Asiedu Nketia, Osei Kyei-Mensah-Bonsu explain the plot
5 hours