Audio By Carbonatix
The Communications Director of the Ghana Water Company Limited, Stanley Mantey has justified the GH₵1.00 imposed on consumers' water bills.
In an interview on Joy FM’s Midday news on Wednesday, he said the GH₵1.00 would go a long way to help in the treatment of water.
“We are producing millions of cubic metres of water in a day and the quantity of chemicals is such that the one cedi can make some significant difference,” he said.
“For us, we are committed to serving the people of Ghana effectively so whatever we have to do to ensure that potable water flows through the systems daily for people to consume and in adequate quantities, that is what we will do as an organisation,” he added.
This follows a GH₵1 increase on every water bill to enable the Ghana Water Company to properly treat water at the various pumps.
The Public Utilities Regulatory Commission (PURC) that approved the request in last week’s tariff adjustment says the cost of treatment has become extremely expensive due to activities of illegal mining known as 'galamsey'.
Read also: https://myjoyonline.com/water-electricity-tariffs-to-go-up-again-on-september-1-2023-purc
According to Mr Mantey, the charge is to enable the cost of production to decrease for the Water Company to be able to produce more for consumption.
Asked whether the one cedi charge would be enough for water treatment as a company, he said it would be determined at the end of the quarter’s report to the PURC.
“Based on our report, they would be able to tell whether it is enough or not. “If in the next quarter, they realise that it is not enough, they will do what they have to do.
“If they realise that it is more than enough, they will reduce it in the next quarter,” he explained.
He asserted that the PURC doesn't simply announce an increase but rather determines a reduction or an increase based on several economic parameters.
Latest Stories
-
The paradox of plenty: How Ghana’s farmers are being sacrificed on the altar of a cheap import agenda
2 minutes -
Defence Ministry in ‘safe hands’ despite vacancy – Felix Kwakye Ofosu
4 minutes -
Why no Defence Minister yet? – Felix Kwakye Ofosu says Mahama sees no urgency
25 minutes -
Sam George petitions AG to probe $3.4m payment for CSA building project
38 minutes -
The Abronye Charge Sheet – misuse in plain sight
50 minutes -
Carvajal to leave Real Madrid after 23 years
51 minutes -
‘No bad blood’: Sam George downplays heated clash with Abena Osei-Asare
1 hour -
Damang Gold Mine sells another 100% of its gold output to GoldBod
1 hour -
Adansi Asokwa MP launches skills training programme for youth
1 hour -
EPA shuts down mining site allegedly linked to former Mpohor DCE
2 hours -
Health, educational institutions in deprived communities get free cement from Ghacem
2 hours -
GSA arrests Chinese managers for reopening locked mattress factory
2 hours -
Court grants GH¢63.5m bail to ex-NAFCO CEO and wife in alleged corruption trial
2 hours -
Kofi Jumah released after meeting GH¢30m bail terms
2 hours -
GSA shuts down 4 companies in Afienya over substandard mattresses
2 hours