Audio By Carbonatix
A Conflict and Security Analyst has urged government to deal with the issues of the Bawku conflict decisively, so as not to aggravate threats of terrorism in the northern parts of Ghana.
Addressing the current conflict at Bawku, Colonel (Rtd) Festus B. Aboagye explained that the actions of the security personnel in the area were worrying and could pave way for some inhabitants of Bawku to seek alliance from terrorist groups across the borders.
Speaking on Newsfile Saturday, he said, “Granted that we have terrorism echoing off our Northern borders, that is the very reason why we have to be very balanced in the use of force.
He explained that "any one person that you kill, can be a catalyst for the group that a person belongs to, to seek alliances from across the border, and therefore if you like, complicate the situation we have on hand.
“So let’s deal with the threat of terrorism…let’s deepen our intelligence capacities or capabilities,” he said.
He, therefore, proposed that the conflict at Bawku, as well as efforts being made by the country to find an ultimate resolution to the clash, be isolated from counter-terrorism approaches.
The security analyst also bemoaned the severity of the conflict in question, hinting that he had been reliably informed that huge guns were being used in the Bawku conflict.
“That is a very serious sense of escalation,” he said.
"Why do we allow this conflict, late last year to get to where it is? That is one day or one week, we lose ten lives if not more. And we begin to see more Kalashnikovs or AK-47s?"
Latest Stories
-
FIFA World Cup: Iran moves camp from USA to Mexico, amid ongoing conflict
1 hour -
Tamale police arrest suspect with large quantities of drugs
2 hours -
BoG pushes for integrated African payment systems to boost trade — Dr Asiama
2 hours -
Two people shot in encounter with Secret Service near the White House
2 hours -
Red Cross volunteers die from suspected Ebola in DR Congo
3 hours -
US Secret Service investigates reports of shots near White House
3 hours -
ECG injects GH¢3m into power upgrades across 40 Accra communities
3 hours -
‘Owadiah’ makes history: William Opare becomes first Ghanaian to break 45 seconds in 400m
3 hours -
Scottish woman ‘was on a mission’ to find out who her Ghanaian husband was. Then she died
3 hours -
Four Ada SHS students arrested after viral cutlass threat video sparks alarm
3 hours -
Christopher Bonsu Baah win Staff Player of the Year award in debut season with Al Qadsiah
4 hours -
Laryea Kingston’s Uganda beat Ghana 8-7 on penalties to secure U-17 World Cup spot and extend Black Starlets’ absence to nine years
4 hours -
FIFA U17 World Cup playoffs: Uganda beat Black Starlets on penalties to qualify
4 hours -
GN Savings and Loans: Ndoum thanks Mahama after Court of Appeal victory
4 hours -
2026 U17 WWCQ: Goalfest in Accra as Black Maidens hit Liberia for six
4 hours