Audio By Carbonatix
Three residents of Ashaiman Lebanon Zone two have been arraigned before the Ashaiman District Court for allegedly assaulting Mr. Augustine Nyalali Ahiagbor, a journalist with Angel FM/TV.
The three are 24-year-old Abass Mohammed, a national service person, Seth Kwame Baidoo, a 39-year-old civil engineer, and Samuel Yaw Baidoo, a 70-year-old pensioner.
They pleaded not guilty to two counts of assault and causing unlawful conduct, contrary to Section 54 and Section 152, respectively, of the Criminal Offences Act, 1960 (Act 29).
The court, presided over by Mr. Derick Parden Eshun, granted them bail in the sum of GHs10,000 with one surety each to be justified.
The court also referred the case for Alternative Dispute Resolution (ADR) and adjourned the case to August 10, 2023.
The prosecution told the court that on May 25, 2023, at about 0610 hours, a toilet facility at Mohammed’s father’s house collapsed and one tenant got trapped in it at Ashaiman Lebanon Zone two.
The facts had it that at about 0710 hours, the journalist received information about the collapsed toilet facility and proceeded to the scene, where he met one other journalist.
It indicated that at the time of his arrival, the victim had been rescued, and some residents were making efforts to send him to the hospital for medical care.
The complainant started taking video coverage and pictures of the collapsed toilet structure, but in the process, Yaw Baidoo went and held his shirt, asking him to delete the video while beating him.
This attracted some others, numbering about 10, who insisted that the journalist delete the videos and pictures.
The accused were said to have struggled with him over his mobile phone, damaging it in the process in addition to tearing his shirt and singlet.
The prosecution noted that the Assembly member for the area who was present, and a witness in the case took the phone from the complainant and together proceeded to Yaw Baidoo and Kwame Baidoo’s house for them to delete the said videos and pictures; however, they could not do so as the phone was damaged.
The journalist then made a complaint at the Lebanon Police Station, where a medical form was issued to him, and the accused persons were arrested, investigated, and arraigned.
Latest Stories
-
BoG inaugurates Financial Advisory Council to drive non-interest banking in Ghana
2 minutes -
Mineral right is a privilege, not an absolute right – Minerals Commission
3 minutes -
Ablakwa seeks Russian support for Africa-led fight against Sahel extremism
14 minutes -
Host mining communities are partners in development, not obstacles – GJA President
16 minutes -
Ghana to sign 5 new petroleum agreements soon – Energy Minister
17 minutes -
GJA President urges Ghana to weigh environmental and social costs alongside mining revenues
28 minutes -
Irresponsible mining: The land is not your own – Prof Mike Oquaye cautions
36 minutes -
62 Ghanaians killed, 15 missing in Russia-Ukraine war – Ablakwa
37 minutes -
GJA President urges responsible, sustainable mining
38 minutes -
Ghana must take charge of its mineral resources – Prof. Mike Oquaye
44 minutes -
KickedIn uses technology to connect African football talent with global opportunities
45 minutes -
GoldBod did not record GH¢22bn loss; audited accounts show GH¢5.44bn surplus – Institute of Fiscal Policy Governance
49 minutes -
Mining comes with responsibility to future generations – Ga Mantse
52 minutes -
Ga Mantse calls for measurable CSR and stronger local participation in mining communities
58 minutes -
Ga Mantse urges mining industry to protect communities beyond the life of mines
1 hour