The Agbogbomefia of Ho, Togbe Afede XIV, has broken his silence on his absence from the National Farmers’ Day ceremony in the Volta Regional capital on December 6.
According to the President of the National House of Chiefs, he was scheduled to chair the ceremony but his name was taken out from the guest list at the eleventh hour.
GraphicOnline reported that speaking at the last meeting of the year in Kumasi, the Chief said he had travelled to Ho for the ceremony a day earlier.
Togbe Afede did not give any reason why he was excluded from the programme but it is believed, it is due to a recent difference in opinion with the government, Graphic said.
The National House of Chiefs had called on voters to reject the introduction of political party participation in local government in a scheduled referendum while the government was campaigning for changing the law to allow the parties to participate.
The House of Chiefs said in a statement that they were concerned partisan politics at the local level would be accompanied by the unwholesome political culture and corruption which has done a lot of harm to the society.
Although some members dissented, the House of Chiefs led by Togbe Afede maintained their position to reject political party participation in local government.
The referendum was eventually called off for lack of a national consensus as the biggest opposition party, the National Democratic Congress (NDC) was also opposed to the question.
Meanwhile, the Awomefia of the Anlo State Togbe Sri III, chaired the Farmers’ Day celebrations.
- Korle-Bu doctor poisons colleague’s water with HIV blood
- NSMQ 2021: 3-man Sandema SHTS team without supporters, books place in final U/E qualifiers
- #FixTheCountry: Convenors of protest disappointed in Supreme Court over hearing scheduled for June
- EC must review processes leading to 2020 election results collation – Akoto Ampaw
- National security cloned #FixTheCountry protester’s mobile phone – Baker-Vormawor alleges
- Prince Misizulu named next Zulu king amid family feud
- 20 arrested in Atewa forest aren’t national security operatives – Oppong Nkrumah
- Ghana loses $200m to untapped online forex trading market
- Blunt and Blay: Real reason why the Church won’t allow a Muslim student to fast in a ‘Mission School’
- Akufo-Addo has not lived up to expectation – Kofi Bentil
Vehicle towing cost to be borne by insurance industry – NIC Commissioner
#FixTheCountry campaigners are being prevented from crying after they’ve been punched in the gut – Kwakye Ofosu
May 9 stadium disaster: Persons With Disabilities join in 20th anniversary celebration
#FixTheCountry: Injunction obtained by police was in order – Attorney General
Asantehene marks 71st birthday with May 9 remembrance
Some of the taxes imposed on citizens are a nuisance – Kofi Bentil
Pastor Allen Caiquo releases ‘Finally’ ahead of ‘Priest & King’ EP
#FixTheCountry organisers exhibited ‘bad faith’ during National Security meeting – Godfred Dame
Blaq Jerzee recruits Marioo, Eddy Kenzo on ’Sokoma’ track
13 types of guys who stay single and don’t ever find lasting love
Blunt and Blay: Real reason why the Church won’t allow a Muslim student to fast in a ‘Mission School’
I have no regrets participating in ‘OccupyFlagstaffHouse’ protest – Kofi Bentil
Neymar signs new Paris St-Germain contract
National security cloned #FixTheCountry protester’s mobile phone – Baker-Vormawor alleges
Akufo-Addo has not lived up to expectation – Kofi Bentil