Audio By Carbonatix
U.S. President Donald Trump confirmed on Sunday that he had spoken with Venezuelan President Nicolas Maduro, but did not provide details on what the two leaders discussed.
"I don't want to comment on it. The answer is yes," Trump said when asked if he had spoken with Maduro. He was speaking to reporters aboard Air Force One.
The New York Times first reported Trump had spoken with Maduro earlier this month and discussed a possible meeting between them in the United States.
"I wouldn't say it went well or badly; it was a phone call," Trump said regarding the conversation.
The revelation of the phone call comes as Trump continues to use bellicose rhetoric regarding Venezuela, while also entertaining the possibility of diplomacy.
On Saturday, Trump said the airspace above and surrounding Venezuela should be considered "closed in its entirety," but gave no further details, stirring anxiety and confusion in Caracas as his administration ramps up pressure on Maduro's government.
When asked whether his airspace comments meant strikes against Venezuela were imminent, Trump said: "Don't read anything into it."
The Trump administration has been weighing Venezuela-related options to combat what it has portrayed as Maduro's role in supplying illegal drugs that have killed Americans. The socialist Venezuelan president has denied having any links to the illegal drug trade.
Reuters has reported the options under U.S. consideration include an attempt to overthrow Maduro, and that the U.S. military is poised for a new phase of operations after a massive military buildup in the Caribbean and nearly three months of strikes on suspected drug boats off Venezuela's coast.
Human rights groups have condemned the strikes as illegal extrajudicial killings of civilians, and some U.S. allies have expressed growing concerns that Washington may be violating international law.
Trump said he would look into whether the U.S. military had carried out a second strike in the Caribbean that killed survivors during a September operation, adding he would not have wanted such a strike.
U.S. Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth has said the strikes are lawful but are intended to be "lethal."
Trump told military service members last week the U.S. would "very soon" begin land operations to stop suspected Venezuelan drug traffickers.
Maduro and senior members of his administration have not commented on the call. Asked about it on Sunday, Jorge Rodriguez, the head of Venezuela's National Assembly, said the call was not the topic of his press conference, where he announced a lawmaker investigation into U.S. boat strikes in the Caribbean.
Latest Stories
-
Video: President Mahama delivers keynote address at 79th World Health Assembly
26 minutes -
Escaped tiger shot by German police after attacking man
28 minutes -
Ghana hosts GAYO-DYEC 2026 as youth innovators drive Africa’s green transition
31 minutes -
You can reverse much of the damage alcohol has done to your body, science says
33 minutes -
Ministry of Communications, Digital Technology and Innovations denies claims of fund misuse
36 minutes -
At least six Americans exposed to Ebola during DR Congo outbreak
37 minutes -
Ghana Maritime Authority celebrates women driving change in maritime industry
40 minutes -
Trump warns ‘clock is ticking’ for Iran as peace progress stalls
41 minutes -
Strike over high fuel prices paralyses transport in Kenya
48 minutes -
G7 finance ministers meet in Paris as Strait of Hormuz closure threatens global economy
51 minutes -
Ghana’s exit from IMF bailout programme shifts economic focus to long-term sovereign fiscal disciplineÂ
56 minutes -
Support fight against corruption—NCCE urges youth
60 minutes -
Ghana on track to exit Gavi Vaccine funding by 2030 — Mahama announces at World Health Assembly
1 hour -
“There’s no immunity from crime” — Lom-Nuku Ahlijah clarifies limits of MP immunity in Ghana
1 hour -
Women urged to take active role in political leadership
1 hour