Audio By Carbonatix
US President Donald Trump has withdrawn an invitation for Canada to join his newly constituted Board of Peace, in the latest spat between the North American neighbours.
"Please let this Letter serve to represent that the Board of Peace is withdrawing its invitation to you regarding Canada's joining," Trump said on Truth Social in a post addressed to Prime Minister Mark Carney.
Carney made headlines this week, warning of a "rupture" in the US-led global order. Ottawa also said it would not pay to join Trump's new body.
The board, which gives Trump wide decision-making powers as chairman, is being billed by the US as a new international organisation for resolving conflicts.
Trump did not give a reason in Thursday evening's post for revoking Canada's offer.
Carney's office did not immediately respond. The Prime Minister had indicated last week he would accept Trump's invitation on principle.
Trump's Board of Peace was originally thought to be aimed at helping end the two-year war between Israel and Hamas in Gaza and overseeing reconstruction.
But its proposed charter does not mention the Palestinian territory and appears to be designed to supplant the UN's functions.
Some 60 nations have been invited to join the board, and about 35 have already signed up, according to the White House.
Earlier on Thursday, the UK said it would not yet participate due to concerns about Russian President Vladimir Putin's possible membership.
Latest Stories
-
Asiedu Nketia pledges stronger welfare support for former NDC executives
6 minutes -
NDC parliamentary leadership reshuffle secured 2024 election victory – Asiedua Nketiah
1 hour -
Agbodza visits Adaklu-Helekpe mudslide victims, warns of more danger around mountain
1 hour -
TTAG urge government’s urgent action on recruitment and postings
2 hours -
World Vision Ghana brings joy to Wa West children with mass birthday celebration
2 hours -
NAIMOS arrest one foreign national and 7 Ghanaians in anti-galamsey operation in Ashanti Region
2 hours -
Health Ministry announces mop-up exercise for validation and posting of health professionals
2 hours -
GoldBod wins community backing for responsible mining support program in Ashanti Region
2 hours -
Xenophobic attack: Why announce evacuation without preparation? – Minority caucus questions gov’t
2 hours -
Government failed Ghanaians in South Africa — Minority slams evacuation delay
2 hours -
Heavy downpour leaves Kaneshie, other parts of Accra flooded
2 hours -
Mahama’s STEM push aims to build curious, creative students – Haruna Iddrisu
2 hours -
Swimming stakeholders call for legitimate governance and constitutional elections in Ghana Swimming
3 hours -
Akatsi Police seize suspected cannabis consignment, driver escapes
3 hours -
EU investment in Ghana reaches $16bn – GIPC’s Boss
3 hours