Ghana star Christian Atsu has been pulled alive and sound from the wreckage after spending 26 hours under the rubble following Monday dawn’s devastating earthquakes that hit Turkey.
Hatayspor’s Vice President, Mustapha Ozat, has confirmed this in an interview, indicating that the club’s sporting director is still unaccounted for.
“Christian Atsu was removed with injuries. Unfortunately, our sporting director Taner Savut is still under the rubble.”
The Ghana Football Association (GFA) has also confirmed receiving the news of the 31-year-old’s recovery and asked for continuous prayers for the former Chelsea winger.
“We’ve received some positive news that Christian Atsu has been successfully rescued from the rubble of the collapsed building and is receiving treatment,” the GFA said in a social media statement.
“Let’s continue to pray for Christian.”
Turkish reporter, Yagiz Sabuncuoglu told Joy Sports the winger’s health is currently being monitored.
“It’s good news but we’re following his condition because, when someone is rescued from under rubble, it means he hasn’t eaten or drank anything.
“So the person’s condition is very important after the rescue. That’s why we’re following up with the hospital.”
Christian Atsu signed a one-year deal with the Turkish Super Lig side, Hatayspor, in September 2022 and only scored his first goal on Sunday against Kasimpasa.
A powerful earthquake has struck south-eastern Turkey, near the Syrian border, killing more than 5,000 people as they slept and trapping many others.
The US Geological Survey said the 7.8 magnitude tremor struck at 04:17 local time (01:17 GMT) at a depth of 17.9km (11 miles) near the city of Gaziantep.
Hours later, a second quake, which had a magnitude of 7.5, hit the Elbistan district of Kahramanmaras province.
So far, more than 3,500 people have died in Turkey and 1,600 in Syria.
- Afenyo-Markin pleads for confirmation of ministerial nominees
- AFCON 2023Q: Antoine Semenyo nets last-ditch winner as Black Stars beat Angola
- Social media reacts to Afena-Gyan’s rejection of Black Meteors call-up
- Ghana v Angola: Jordan Ayew, Kudus start as Chris Hughton era begins
- Ashaiman invasion: We have been commended for ridding town of criminals – DG of Armed Forces Public Affairs
- Funny Face opens up on relationship with Emmanuel Adebayor
- Ghana power firms reject move to restructure $1.4bn debt
- Cedi improves in value against dollar; $1 now ¢12.40
- Organ-trafficking Nigerian politician, wife found guilty
- NDC flagbearership race: Kwabena Duffour submits nomination forms
- Kejetia Market fire: Managers ignored systematic flaws – City authorities
- Chewing gum improves academic performance
- Lori Harvey and Damson Idris reportedly split after three month whirlwind romance
- African sport rocked by sexual abuse allegations in DR Congo and Cameroon
- Ministerial nominees: Stalemate persists; Minority determined not to approve – Ablakwa
- Global Economic Challenges: Time is right to see value of insurers – Owusu-Banahene
- Get financing assurances from creditors, partners before Board approval – IMF to Ghana
- Attempts by Bawumia’s supporters to politicise enskinment of new Yagbonwura disrespectful – Joyce Bawah
- Exploring the art of drum making
- Mahama begins 3-day campaign tour of the Western Region today
- Police called to Rihanna’s house after man shows up to propose
- ECG retrieves almost ¢2.5m from 2 defaulting firms in Kumasi
- South Africa opposition vows to ‘protect’ Putin from ICC arrest
- 2023 AFCONQ: Ghana 1-0 Angola: Player Ratings – Partey shines, Mensah struggles
- Ramadan: Nigerians face arrest for ‘eating in public’