The UK approves the phased removal of the Chinese telecoms giant from its 5G network despite warnings from Beijing.
The United Kingdom has bowed to US pressure and approved the phased removal of Chinese telecoms giant Huawei from its 5G network despite warnings of retaliation from Beijing.
Tuesday’s policy reversal handed a significant victory to US President Donald Trump’s administration in its geopolitical and trade battle with China.
But it threatens to further damage the UK’s relations with the Asian power and carries a big cost for UK mobile providers that have relied on Huawei equipment for nearly 20 years.
Oliver Dowden, the UK’s digital secretary, announced the move in Parliament on Tuesday after Prime Minister Boris Johnson chaired meetings with his Cabinet and the National Security Council.
“From the end of this year, telecoms providers must not buy any 5G equipment from Huawei,” he told MPs.
The new guidelines also require all existing Huawei gear to be stripped out by the end of 2026.
Huawei had been reportedly pushing for the full ban to be delayed till after the UK’s next general election, scheduled to take place in 2024, that could potentially bring a new government to power with a more sympathetic approach.
“This disappointing decision is bad news for anyone in the UK with a mobile phone. It threatens to move Britain into the digital slow lane, push up bills and deepen the digital divide. Instead of ‘levelling up’ the government is levelling down and we urge them to reconsider,” Huawei said after the announcement of the ban.
“Regrettably our future in the UK has become politicised, this is about US trade policy and not security.”
Johnson angered Trump and upset some members of his own Conservative party by allowing the Chinese 5G leader to help roll out the UK’s speedy new data network in January.
The UK was then completing its departure from the European Union and looking to establish strong ties with powerful Asian economies that could fulfil Johnson’s vision of a “global Britain”.
But the Trump administration told the UK government that its decision imperilled intelligence sharing and could even result in the relocation of some US fighter jets from England.
Washington believes the private Chinese company could either spy for Beijing or shut down rival countries’ 5G networks in times of war.
Huawei has always denied this and pointed to 20 years of cooperation with British security agencies that checked on the safety of its existing 3G and 4G networks.
The British review was triggered by new US sanctions in May that blocked Huawei’s access to US chips and semiconductors at the heart of 5G networks.
The restriction raised the possibility of Huawei having to switch from trusted US suppliers to alternatives whose safety could not be guaranteed by UK security agencies.
- Final year JHS student allegedly commits suicide at Barkoniaba
- DCOP Opare Addo vows to take action against Delta Force for attempted forceful removal from office
- My uncle hired dummy National Security operatives to terrorise me – Man recounts
- Ayew gives Swansea narrow lead over Barnsley in Championship play-offs
- DCOP Opare Addo recounts chilling account of how he was harassed by members of the Delta Force
- Speaker Alban Bagbin urges SALL residents to petition Parliament
- DCOP Opare Addo had no locus to be in office, his contract has expired – National Security Coordinator
- Banks to soon adopt only National ID card as primary source of identification
- Those who created the national security monster have lost control – Kwesi Aning
- Amaliba withdraws as lawyer for Assin North MP
Ghana chosen as “case study” for African countries in ensuring digital safety
Ambulance Service CEO worried over concentration of ambulances in cities to the detriment of rural areas
SIM cards re-registration comment by Bawumia ill-informed, highly naive – Minority Leader
NPP Coordinator condemns alleged forceful removal of DCOP Opare Addo from office
Ablekuma Central Assembly warns against building without permits
Ghana Armed Forces set to conduct anti-terrorism exercise
National Coordinator of School Feeding Programme sacked
NSMQ 2021: I silently prayed to overcome stage fright – Drobo SHS contestant shares experience
Jean Mensa doesn’t care about those who lost their lives in 2020 elections – Peter Otokunor
Contractors who do shoddy work to pay more for maintenance – Roads Minister warns
AUCC, Knowledge Innovations to host first training course in Financial Technologies
Task force to check illegal transport fares set up
Ghana Library Authority shortlisted for London Book Fair Awards
Expect some symptoms after receiving second Covid-19 jab – GHS to Ghanaians
Ghana’s Golden Girl: Martha Bissah grabs second degree at Norfolk University