Audio By Carbonatix
An American pastor who was kidnapped by armed men during a church service in South Africa last week has been rescued following a "high-intensity shoot-out" that left three people dead, police say.
Josh Sullivan was found unharmed in the township in Gqeberha in the Eastern Cape on Tuesday evening - the area where the 45-year-old was snatched from last Thursday.
There were no immediate details on the kidnappers who are suspected of having been familiar with the family's movements.
Over the past decade, there has been a dramatic increase in kidnappings for ransom in South Africa.
Mr Sullivan's kidnappers had made a ransom demand, prompting the intervention of South Africa's elite police unit, known as the Hawks.
In a statement released on Wednesday morning, the Hawks said that Sullivan had been rescued following "verified intelligence wherein a coordinated team… moved swiftly to the identified location".
Hawks spokesperson Avele Fumba said that as the officers approached the house, the suspects attempted to flee inside a vehicle, while opening fire.
"The officers responded with tactical precision, leading to a high-intensity shootout in which three unidentified suspects were fatally wounded," Mr Fumba said.
Mr Sullivan's family and friends had made impassioned pleas for his safe return since his abduction.
Jeremy Hall, the Sullivan family's spokesman, told local newspaper TimesLIVE that he was at the church with his wife and their children when he was kidnapped.
"They knew his name," he said at the time.
Mr Sullivan describes himself as "a church planting missionary" on his personal website.
On it, he says he moved to South Africa with his wife and children in 2018 to establish a church for Xhosa-speaking people.
Latest Stories
-
7-month-old baby found dead in a drain at Obuasi Old Estate
49 minutes -
Tunisia coast guard recovers eight bodies of migrants whose boat sank
50 minutes -
One man diagnosed with prostate cancer in the UK ‘every eight minutes’
53 minutes -
After losing 2012 election, we couldn’t even afford prepaid credit – Obuobia Darko
57 minutes -
NSMQ 2026: Kpando SHS brush aside Abor, Jukwa to storm One-Eighth stage with 32 point gap
2 hours -
Duncan Amoah: Gov’t should create conditions for 24-hour economy, not build markets
2 hours -
JoyNews-Republic Bank Habitat Fair finale turns homeownership dreams into real possibilities
3 hours -
Bamiri chief commissions KG block, guest house to boost education and revenue
3 hours -
NSMQ 2026: Yaa Asantewaa Girls’ going ‘beck’ to Tanoso after Bishop Herman deals them early exit
4 hours -
Data Protection Commission acquires two vehicles to strengthen data protection enforcement
4 hours -
NSMQ 2026: Holy Child School storms back from two-year NSMQ absence to book One-Eighth ticket
5 hours -
GNFS dismisses reports of unpaid 2025 rent allowance
7 hours -
Gordon Asare-Bediako steps down from NPP Communications Director race, backs Dennis Aboagye
7 hours -
GES dismisses requirement for newly promoted teachers to submit documents for salary adjustments
7 hours -
Meko Bono 2026: Vice President pledges agricultural revival as Atebubu hosts grand homecoming
8 hours