Audio By Carbonatix
The Trump administration is pressing Meta to submit its AI models for voluntary review, which would allow the government to evaluate their capabilities and vulnerabilities, the New York Times reported on Tuesday, citing four people familiar with the confidential request.
The request was made via email to the social media giant, the report said, as the administration steps up oversight of the AI industry.
The Facebook parent, which launched the Muse Spark AI model in April, is the only major U.S. developer of AI technology that has not reached an agreement to voluntarily share its models with the federal government for review, according to the report.
"We share the administration's goal of advancing U.S. leadership on robust and secure frontier AI. While we are working through the details, we hope to sign the agreement soon," Meta told Reuters in an emailed response.
The U.S. Commerce Department did not immediately respond to a Reuters request for comment.
Earlier this month, the U.S. government ordered Anthropic to suspend access to its most advanced AI models for foreign nationals, citing national security concerns.
OpenAI and Anthropic had already been working with the U.S. government to test unreleased AI models, while Google DeepMind, Microsoft and xAI agreed in May to provide the government with early access to new models for national-security evaluations.
Concern is growing in Washington over the national security risks posed by powerful AI systems. By securing early access to frontier models, U.S. officials aim to identify threats ranging from cyberattacks to military misuse before the tools are widely deployed.
On June 2, President Donald Trump signed an executive order establishing a voluntary framework for AI developers to offer "covered frontier models" to the U.S. government for up to 30 days before releasing them to trusted partners.
Latest Stories
-
7-month-old baby found dead in a drain at Obuasi Old Estate
25 minutes -
Tunisia coast guard recovers eight bodies of migrants whose boat sank
26 minutes -
One man diagnosed with prostate cancer in the UK ‘every eight minutes’
29 minutes -
After losing 2012 election, we couldn’t even afford prepaid credit – Obuobia Darko
33 minutes -
NSMQ 2026: Kpando SHS brush aside Abor, Jukwa to storm One-Eighth stage with 32 point gap
2 hours -
Duncan Amoah: Gov’t should create conditions for 24-hour economy, not build markets
2 hours -
JoyNews-Republic Bank Habitat Fair finale turns homeownership dreams into real possibilities
3 hours -
Bamiri chief commissions KG block, guest house to boost education and revenue
3 hours -
NSMQ 2026: Yaa Asantewaa Girls’ going ‘beck’ to Tanoso after Bishop Herman deals them early exit
3 hours -
Data Protection Commission acquires two vehicles to strengthen data protection enforcement
3 hours -
NSMQ 2026: Holy Child School storms back from two-year NSMQ absence to book One-Eighth ticket
5 hours -
GNFS dismisses reports of unpaid 2025 rent allowance
6 hours -
Gordon Asare-Bediako steps down from NPP Communications Director race, backs Dennis Aboagye
6 hours -
GES dismisses requirement for newly promoted teachers to submit documents for salary adjustments
6 hours -
Meko Bono 2026: Vice President pledges agricultural revival as Atebubu hosts grand homecoming
7 hours