Audio By Carbonatix
The US has added China's biggest computer chip-maker SMIC to a list of "Chinese military companies", putting further pressure on the company.
The move by the Department of Defense means US investors are now barred from holding or trading shares in SMIC.
It said the Chinese government was using the expertise of "civilian entities", such as companies and universities, to modernise its military capabilities.
US turns up heat on China's biggest chip-maker https://t.co/52MIQnAz1C
— BBC News Technology (@BBCTech) December 4, 2020
SMIC has denied any military links.
The company now falls under an executive order signed by President Donald Trump in November, which sought to prevent US capital from funding the modernisation of China's military.
SMIC has previously said some of its US suppliers have been issued with letters telling them they will be subject to new export restrictions.
This suggests the US Department of Commerce may add the company to its trade blacklist, known as the entity list, although it has not yet published such a decision.
If that happens, it could have a significant impact on chip production.
"Seeing as SMIC is dependent on sourcing from US companies in order to be able to manufacture silicon chips, this puts SMIC's business in the hands of the Department of Commerce, which can decide whether to issue licences on a case-by-case basis," said Richard Windsor, founder of research firm Radio Free Mobile.
"The added designation of SMIC as being owned or controlled by the Chinese military does not change the situation, other than to make it harder to get a licence, make it more likely to be added to the entity list and result in diminished demand for its shares as US investors will no longer be able to buy them."
Latest Stories
-
Police could not justify GH₵35.8 million bill – 2023 African Games LOC Chair
29 seconds -
TGMA is not the platform to judge fashion – Nana Akua Addo
1 minute -
2028 election will be youth-driven—Bawumia
13 minutes -
IGP Yohuno ‘doubles’ police academy intake for officers for Course 54
13 minutes -
We don’t have to go back, 17 times at IMF is enough – Nana Yaa Jantuah
32 minutes -
Current account surplus: quarter one 2026 exceeds 2025 period by US$652m
33 minutes -
Lynx quits artiste management, focuses on music distribution and electronics
37 minutes -
Opponent watch: Modric headlines as Croatia announce 2026 World Cup squad
38 minutes -
NPP members in Tarkwa-Nsuaem to protest over alleged internal electoral irregularities
40 minutes -
MPC opens 130th meeting to review Ghana’s economy
42 minutes -
UK growth forecast upgraded by IMF but risks remain
43 minutes -
Xenophobic attacks: First batch of 300 Ghanaians to be evacuated from South Africa on May 21
45 minutes -
Irish president to meet King Charles during official visit
52 minutes -
Deprived districts to benefit most from 8,000 health workers’ recruitment — Health Ministry
53 minutes -
GNFS honours Director of Logistics DCFO Heroine Sekyere Boakye after 36 years of dedicated service
56 minutes