Toni Kroos’ opportunistic goal direct from a corner helped Real Madrid reach the Spanish Super Cup final with a 3-1 victory over Valencia in Saudi Arabia.
Kroos’ corner was punched in by Valencia keeper Jaume Domenech as he scrambled back towards his line after remonstrating with his defenders.
Isco’s volleyed finish doubled Real’s lead before Luka Modric made it 3-0.
Daniel Parejo scored a late consolation from the penalty spot after the referee consulted the pitchside VAR monitor.
The penalty was given for handball by Sergio Ramos despite it appearing to be accidental.
Barcelona will face Atletico Madrid in the other semi-final on Thursday (19:00 GMT), with Real facing the winner in the final on Sunday (18:00 GMTN).
The tournament has a new format this season, with the top two from La Liga and the Copa del Rey finalists playing in a four-team competition rather than the two winners playing each other.
Real, despite finishing third in La Liga, qualified because Barcelona won La Liga and finished runner-ups in the Copa del Rey.
Zinedine Zidane’s side, who are second in La Liga on goal difference, dominated from the start and had 17 attempts on goal at King Abdullah Sports City in Jeddah.
Their margin of victory could have been bigger as Isco’s header hit the post before Luka Jovic’s rebound from two yards out was blocked by Domenech.
- Nana Agradaa re-arrested after being granted bail
- SSNIT OBS scandal: State sues Ernest Thompson, 4 others again
- Joe Ghartey files appeal against Sekondi High Court’s ruling
- Rastafarian Saga: Achimota, all schools under GES cannot be sued – Attorney-General
- Suspend prospecting activities in all forest reserves – Lands Minister directs
- Rastafarian case: Achimota School fails to respond to suit, case adjourned to April 30
- Abandon agenda 111 hospitals to resource NHIS – Abekah-Nkrumah tells government
- Akuapem Poloo regains freedom after meeting bail conditions
- I was the least expected candidate – John Kumah speaks on his deputy ministerial appointment
- I don’t know Hearts of Oak, Kotoko is the biggest club in Ghana – Fabio Gama
Ghana to produce 1.2 million tonnes of rice in 2023 – Agric Minister
Over 4,000 cyber fraud cases currently under investigation
Idriss Déby: Chad funeral for president killed by rebels
Ghana exported US$21.7bn commodities between 2014 and 2019 – World Bank
NSS resident at Legon in critical condition after falling from 4th floor of building
Man hangs himself at in-law’s house after he caught wife cheating
Airtel may return to Ghana’s telecom market
One dead, 9 others hospitalised after alleged food poisoning at a funeral in Obuasi
Begoro Police removes lifeless body from stationary timber truck
Broadcasting law can help make Ghana’s media safe for all – Advocates for Christ Ghana
Malaria vaccine hailed as potential breakthrough
3 police officers in Seikwa interdicted for secretly burying man who died in custody
Police investigators concluding reconstruction of crime scene of 10-year-old boy’s ritual murder
Akuapem Poloo regains freedom after meeting bail conditions
131 youths in Asutifi North trained in livelihood empowerment skills