The Spanish Referee’s Committee (CTA) has said Video Assistant Refereeing (VAR) in La Liga has helped in all aspects of the game after their first season with the new system.
VAR checked 4,293 actions – an average of 12 per match – in the 380-game La Liga season, intervening a total of 121 times (3.14 per game) and leading to 114 changed decisions.
This included the awarding of seven red cards that on-field officials missed, with 60 goals awarded by video technology.
The CTA also said player protests were down 17.3%, while simulation dropped by 68% following the introduction of VAR.
“Our officials have adapted very well to the changes, but so have the fans and media, too. It’s like we’ve always played with VAR,” said CTA president Carlos Velasco Carballo.
Spain was the country most represented in European competition by its officials, with 34 designated for matches across the continent throughout the season, ahead of Italy (33), Germany(32) and England (23),
Two Spanish referees were used in the Champions League last 16 and quarter-finals, while Antonio Miguel Mateu Lahoz, who is the fourth official at the final, took charge of Tottenham Hotspur’s semi-final first-leg home defeat by Ajax Amsterdam.
Spurs face fellow Premier League side Liverpool in the June 1 showpiece at the Wanda Metropolitano stadium in Madrid.
- Taskforce destroys excavators allegedly belonging to NPP Women’s Organiser
- Fuel prices to go up again – Chamber of Petroleum Consumers Ghana
- Cameron Duodu: Sɛbe o, tafrakyɛ, na ‘Ɔte K’ɔkɔɔ Soɔ’ deɛ, yɛbɔ n’ano sɛn? – With all due respect, how can the occupant of the Golden Stool be silenced?
- 23-year-old arrested for attempting to sacrifice his nephew for money rituals
- Kokomba warriors kill human-attacking antelopes
- Mahama’s ‘dumsor’ is different from Akufo-Addo’s – Kweku Awotwi
- Armed men attack NPP Communicator
- 2nd dose of Covid-19 vaccines to be deployed from May 19 – Akufo-Addo
- Armed robbers jailed for robbing, raping pregnant woman
- Full text: Akufo-Addo’s 25th address on measures to deal with Covid-19 pandemic
NDC has done more for healthcare in Ghana than NPP – Sammy Gyamfi responds to Nana Aba Anamoah
“I’m not proud of it” – referee for Hearts v Sharks game apologises for errors
Ghanaians to re-register SIM cards in June or risk losing phone numbers
Akosombo Dam could serve Ghana for another 50 years if well maintained – Kweku Awotwi
No new Covid-19 cases in Northern Region in 3 weeks
2 dead, 3 injured and others displaced following heavy downpour in Ashanti Region
Okyeame Kwame and wife launch their first book ‘Love Locked Down’
Ter Stegen ruled out of Germany’s Euros plans with knee problem that will require surgery at Barcelona
Digital transformation will determine success of corporate Ghana post-Covid – Ernest De-Graft Egyir
Standards Authority sets standards to regulate sale of eggs
Leicester issue Chelsea apology over Daniel Amartey FA Cup actions
At least 20 cattle shot and wounded after herdsmen allegedly stab man at Abrewankor
If you don’t fix health system, outcome won’t improve irrespective of procurement you make – Asiedu Sarpong
Ongoing financial re-engineering of the power sector is positive – Kweku Awotwi
Armed robbers jailed for robbing, raping pregnant woman