Audio By Carbonatix
The entire nation, not just the government, must share in the failure to effectively address illegal mining and its attendant devastation.
Law lecturer and practitioner, Mr. Kwame Gyan insists the failure is a collective one, explaining that everyone has a role to play to ensure the safety of the country and its resources.
According to him, there is no need in apportioning blame to a particular government or the other.
In an interview on Joy FM’s Super Morning Show, Mr. Gyan said Ghanaians should focus on the impacts of the menace seen now and how it can be addressed once and for all.

He insisted that, until that is done, the menace will continue resurfacing despite efforts by governments to end it.
“The fight against illegal mining (galamsey) is a collective fight. What we are all calling a failure is a collective failure. We shouldn’t blame anybody. So if you sit here today and say it is the current government that has failed in the fight, I will not agree.

“We Ghanaians, any time we fall, love to concentrate on where we have fallen instead of concentrating on where we slipped and fell.
“So, we should not look at just what we are seeing today and ascribe responsibility that it is just this current government that has not been able to deal with galamsey or illegal mining,” he insisted.
The government’s anti-galamsey policies and strategies have come under criticism with many questioning the will to rid the country of the menace.
Last week, the Akufo-Addo administration came under fire from Asantehene, who claims the much-touted fight is shrouded in falsehood.
According to Otumfuo Osei Tutu II, the fight would remain a sham unless the appropriate individuals, particularly financiers, who are responsible for the illegal mining scourge, are identified.
“Are they saying they don’t know those behind galamsey in Ghana? The gold ends up being sold abroad. So who is behind the sale of gold abroad? Is it not the financier? How come he is not arrested?”
But Mr. Gyan believes everyone has a role to play in ending the menace.
Latest Stories
-
Jinapor appeals for calm after nationwide power outage, says Akosombo works will be completed next month
1 minute -
BoG Governor rules out immediate cut in Ghana’s inflation target
8 minutes -
All 23 banks now fully capitalised – BoG Governor
10 minutes -
Supreme Court to rule Friday on challenge to Chief Justice’s legal vacation directives
13 minutes -
Fibre repairs drain millions Ghana needs for digital expansion
14 minutes -
Sunyani–Atronie–Acherensua road project reaches 33% completion
18 minutes -
Know what you bring, know your partner first
18 minutes -
Kumasi businessman and Kessben Group CEO Stephen Kessben dies at 68
20 minutes -
Ghanaian defender David Oduro set to leave Barcelona for Aston Villa
26 minutes -
Parah Foundation commissions GH¢60,000 water project for over 300 families in Adeiso-Domeabra
34 minutes -
IES calls for urgent GRIDCo assessment after third nationwide blackout in three weeks
35 minutes -
Absa Prestige Banking team equips Buzstop Boys to support community clean-up work
39 minutes -
Digital engines of growth: The role and impact of ICT on SMEs in Ghana
43 minutes -
Absa supports €456m financing for Genser Energy’s next phase of growth
43 minutes -
Gold cannot save you at 2 am – GMTF challenges mining firms to invest in healthcare
50 minutes