The National Democratic Congress is asserting that they have won 141 parliamentary seats out of the total 275 constituency seats in parliament.
Addressing the media at a press conference today, the General Secretary of the party Asiedu Nketia stated that this win gives the NDC “absolute control of the House”.
He stated that as per the laws of the country, the NDC party now holds the power to select the next Speaker of Parliament, the Deputy speaker and all chairmen of the Parliamentary select committees.
“We can report that out of the 275 constituencies, the NDC has won 141 and that puts us in a clear majority…our collation so far indicates that our candidate John Mahama is ahead.”
“We are expecting the Electoral Commission to very soon come out to declare him President of Ghana,” Asiedu Nketia added.
The General Secretary said that an NDC majority in parliament will enable their presidential candidate John Mahama in governing the country if declared president of the country.
Asiedu Nketia cautioned media houses from prematurely announcing the winner of the parliamentary elections before it is confirmed by the EC.
- Emotional Stephen Appiah tears up talking about son Rodney
- Sam George: Lack of bed and ambulance led to death of a 12-year-old
- Chinese busted for mining at River Pra by military task force
- Abdul Malik Kweku Baako: The delayed disclosure of physical torture on Caleb Kudah
- Freedom of the press does not translate into safety of journalists – Prof. Gadzekpo tells media owners
- Playback: Newsfile discusses alleged assault on Citi FM journalists, Otumfuo joins ‘galamsey’ fight
- Israel strike in Gaza destroys building with AP, other media
- US to deepen bilateral relationship with Ghana as United Airlines recommences flights to KIA
- GPL: Four games to lookout for on matchday 25
- We have $200m for you to borrow – ECOWAS Bank to governments, businesses
UK troops seize IS weapons in Mali operation
Man loses lower lip during fight with friend over ¢18
Bantama SDA Primary Headmaster shot dead by suspected armed robbers
Israeli PM vows to push on ‘forcefully’ with offensive as airstrikes hit home of Hamas chief
Agbodza cuts sod for ¢1m 8-unit classroom block for Adaklu Senior High School
Livestream: ICGC Sunday service with Mensa Otabil
No alternative to vaccine passports, says Dubai airport boss
Stephen Appiah tells full story of how his son, Rodney joined Olympics
Hong Kong’s Ray Cordeiro, ‘world’s most durable DJ’, retires at 96
I hate to see talent waste away – Kofi Kinaata opens up on investing in football
Andy Murray chooses to miss French Open
Spotify founder Daniel Ek says Arsenal bid has been rejected
Italian Open: Rafael Nadal to play Novak Djokovic in Rome final
GPL: WAFA deepen Legon Cities’ relegation woes
Leicester win FA Cup for the first time after last-gap Chelsea equaliser ruled out