Audio By Carbonatix
Energy Minister-designate John Abdulai Jinapor has outlined mechanisms for addressing the gold-for-oil policy should he be made minister for the sector.
Referring to a publication dated November 28, 2023, which stated, "Bank of Ghana to phase out Gold for Oil policy, Bank of Ghana governor announces," he said, “I think that they are rather re-vindicating my position that it was not well thought out.”
Speaking during his vetting by Parliament’s Appointments Committee, Mr. Jinapor pointed out that if the policy had been effective in solving the problem, it would not have been abolished.
However, he shared strategies on how the policy will be tackled once he becomes the Minister for Energy, assuring that gold will be properly accounted for.
“What we will do, we will review it, we will analyze it, and ensure that we come out with a model that is fit for purpose, that ensures that we account for the gold,” he said.
Mr. Jinapor also revealed that the government plans to establish a Gold Board, which will oversee the policy, support fuel imports, and facilitate the payment of Independent Power Producers (IPPs) and gas suppliers.
He further emphasised that the government is focusing on a holistic, comprehensive approach, rather than a narrow one.
Latest Stories
-
Ronaldinho seeks 300th goal with comeback aged 46
3 hours -
Your voice, your future – Opare Addo opens National Youth Forum 2026
3 hours -
GRA pushes data-driven tax administration to boost revenue mobilisation
4 hours -
NSMQ 2026: Presby SHS, Bompata crushes Sacred Heart’s hopes of reaching one-eighth stage
4 hours -
Africa Golf Tourism Convention opens in South Africa to unlock opportunities
4 hours -
BOGISS alleged sexual assault: Dr Apaak demands protection for autism victim
4 hours -
GTEC trains tertiary officials on new affiliation quality assurance framework
4 hours -
Luv FM High School Debate: OKESS, OSASS silence K’Wey Gey and KASS in fierce round of 16
4 hours -
Alcaraz to play US Open after four months out
4 hours -
Even if all foreigners leave, South Africa’s problems will remain – Dr Yamson blames state failure
4 hours -
Mahama announces GH¢500m district housing programme; rollout to begin this year
4 hours -
Energy Committee yet to receive July 29 blackout report – Adomako-Mensah
5 hours -
Five in six Ghana health facilities fall short of basic sanitation standard – WHO/UNICEF
5 hours -
Mohammed Fuseini in talks over Troyes move from Union SG
5 hours -
‘Bear with the system’ – Energy Ministry says temporary power control room to be ready by September
5 hours