The Wenchi Diocese of the Methodist Church Ghana has launched its tree-planting project in the Bono Regional town of Wenchi with a call on Ghanaians to make sure every tree that was planted on the Green Ghana Day survives.
Under this project, 2,500 trees are expected to be planted by the church as a supplement to the government’s Green Ghana Project.
Performing a symbolic tree planting exercise to mark the commencement of the project, the Bishop of the Wenchi Diocese of the Methodist Church Ghana, Rev Alfred Appiah Andam, stated that the tree planting will take place in all the 14 circuits within Wenchi dioceses of the church.
He said the church was aware of the importance of trees and vegetation to the sustenance of humans hence the project to help sustain the environment.
“All the 14 circuits in the dioceses will take delivery of their Acacia and Coconut seedlings among others and get assisted by officials of the Forestry Commission to plant and nurtured the trees,” he explained.
Rev Andam indicated that there is the need to safeguard the forest cover of the country, adding that “by planting trees, we are giving more life to the nation because the tree is life.”
He bemoaned the indiscriminate felling down of trees, especially rosewood trees in the North and the surge in the illegal mining activities in river bodies and forest zones.
The phenomenon, Rev Andam stressed is posing a serious threat to both human and aquatic lives across Ghana.
He, therefore, charged all Ghanaians to desist from illicit activities that are negatively impacting the environment.
- Takoradi woman faked pregnancy and kidnap – Regional Minister
- Fugees announce reunion tour, Ghana listed among countries
- Ablakwa to file another urgent question in Parliament over Akufo-Addo’s ‘extravagant’ foreign trips
- Police interdicts 4 officers who assaulted Tamale residents over illegal connection
- Provisional census results peg Ghana’s population at 30.8m – Statistical Service
- Kohwe was not my brother – George Laing clarifies
- Police deny NPP executives’ bail request for 12 arrested protestors in North East Region
- Peugeot Landtrek Double Cabin 4×4 vehicle launched; assembling of Peugeot vehicles in Ghana to begin in March 2022
- Suspected thief made to weed acres of land as punishment at Bibiani
- Takoradi missing woman: Neighbours, husband dispute Regional Minister’s claim she faked pregnancy, kidnap
‘Admit AU in G20 Group of Nations – Akufo-Addo
‘Ghana will defend democracy and constitutional rule’ – Akufo-Addo
Guinea coup: Military junta willing to see to Condé’s release – Akufo-Addo
‘Vaccines as a tool for immigration control is retrogressive’ – Akufo-Addo
Absa Group to Implement Second Significant B-BBEE Transaction
Musician Kaakyire Kwame Appiah enstooled Benkumhene Of Bosomtwe Asaman
Suaman youth shower praise on Akufo-Addo for DCE appointment
Izwe Savings and Loans rewards customers and staff at its 10th anniversary virtual cake cutting ceremony
Prudential Bank donates vehicle to reward first runner-up of teacher prize
Seth Kwame Awuku: Parliament -Amending the 1990 ECOWAS supplementary protocol
Playback: Akufo-Addo addresses 76th session of UN General Assembly
Mozzart Bet offers biggest odds in 3 games today
Kohwe was not my brother – George Laing clarifies
Northern Region Police Commander visits victims of brutalities in Tamale
R. Kelly’s legal team brings witnesses who say they never saw abuse by the singer