Audio By Carbonatix
Authorities investigating the deaths of at least 60 people in northwestern Democratic Republic of Congo suspect the water source in one of the areas may have been contaminated, the World Health Organization said Friday. But the agency said it's too early for a definitive conclusion.
Doctors are investigating more than 1,000 illnesses that have emerged since late January in five villages in Congo's Equateur province, where high rates of malaria have complicated efforts to diagnose the cases and where officials have said they've been unable so far to confirm the main cause.
WHO emergencies chief Dr. Michael Ryan said during an online briefing Friday that for one of the villages there is "a very strong level of suspicion ... related to the poisoning of a water source."
Ryan did not clarify whether he was referring to contamination by accident, negligence or deliberate action. He also did not identify the village where the poisoning was suspected.
"We will not stop investigating until we are sure that the true cause or the absolute cause of what is occurring here is fully investigated," Ryan said.
Illnesses were first detected in late January in the village of Boloko after three children ate a bat and died within 48 hours.
Twelve cases and eight deaths in total have been recorded in Boloko, with no new cases recorded since January, officials say, adding that nearly half of deaths there occurred within hours of the onset of symptoms.
The village of Bomate in Basankusu health zone, around 200 kilometers from Boloko, has been hit the most: 98% of the cases and 86% of deaths have been recorded there, health officials say.
WHO said on Thursday that hundreds of the patients have tested positive for malaria, which is common in the region. In addition to common malaria symptoms such as fever and body aches, patients have also shown symptoms such as chills, sweating, stiff neck, runny or bleeding nose, cough, vomiting and diarrhea.
The health crisis has caused fear among residents, some of whom have said they fled the villages to avoid falling sick.
Experts say that access to the sick has been hindered by the remote locations of the affected villages and that several people died before medical teams were able to reach them.
Latest Stories
-
CSR must be measurable commitment, not a gesture of convenience – Ga Mantse tells mining companies
2 minutes -
Ga Mantse urges mining industry to protect communities beyond the life of mines
17 minutes -
Empowerher in Upper West region
37 minutes -
Ga Mantse challenges mining stakeholders to consider long-term impact of Ghana’s mineral wealth
46 minutes -
Afenyo-Markin accuses GoldBod of mismanaging Ghana’s gold resources
47 minutes -
Non-interest banking products must meet required standards – BoG Governor to NIFAC
47 minutes -
Social licence to mine can be withdrawn – Ga Mantse warns mining companies
49 minutes -
X1 Energy Drink Division One Super Cup: Attram De Visser secure third place after late own goal
49 minutes -
‘A mine may close, but the community must not’ – Ga Mantse calls for sustainable mining
51 minutes -
UG Pro VC calls for an integrated risk management approach to tackle Ghana’s perennial flooding
58 minutes -
Parents can buy additional NaCCA-approved textbooks for children – Deputy NaCCA boss
1 hour -
Youth must have a real voice in national issues beyond jobs, creative arts – EU
1 hour -
AGTC: How women-led initiative is turning golf into jobs and tourism opportunities
1 hour -
Exporters call for single-digit interest rates to boost Ghana’s horticulture sector
1 hour -
Young political leaders must look beyond party lines to strengthen Ghana’s democracy – EU
1 hour