A 25-year-old trader has reportedly confessed to throwing her five-year-old son into an abandoned well at Ogone, a suburb of Somanya in the Eastern Region, leading to his death.
The woman, who is identified only as Rita, is in the grip of the police helping with investigations.
According to Joy News’ correspondent, Kofi Siaw, the deceased, whose name was given as Joseph, had been reported missing for the past three days with an official complaint lodged with the police.
His mother, who sells mangoes in the community, had been announcing the disappearance of her son on a local radio station.
She, however, took the community by surprise when she reportedly confessed to family members of her knowledge of the little boy’s whereabouts, the reporter added.
Rita then led family members to the crime scene where the body of Joseph was found floating in the well.
Bewildered residents of Ogone as well as surrounding communities, gathered at the crime scene after hearing the news.
It is unclear what may have compelled the suspect to throw her own son into a well but some residents who spoke on anonymity attributed it to economic hardship. They claimed the father of the child abandoned him and the mother.
The body of the boy has been taken to the Atua Government Hospital for autopsy while investigations continue.
- 7 times Ghana has beaten Nigeria to the prize
- Travellers complain of rampant robbery at Bunso Junction off Accra-Kumasi highway
- 9 Nigerians arrested for illegally entering Ghana after crossing Volta River
- Akuapem Poloo’s child is with me, he doesn’t know what is going on – Actress’ lawyer
- NDC must focus on healing the horse, not selecting a rider – Kumbour
- Attorney General supports my motion for appeal – Lawyer for Akuapem Poloo reveals
- Former NSMQ contestant, Francis Tetteh reported dead
- Whether dumsor is back or not, current power outages must be resolved immediately – Prof Adei
- Set aside 90-day jail term and fine me – Poloo to High Court
- Fire razes over 30 shops at Kumasi Central Market
Ghana’s Policy Rate of 14.5% still among highest in Africa
Singer Stone Gee supports Akuapem Poloo’s son
Ghana will find it expensive to borrow – Moody’s
European Super League created to ‘save football’ – Real Madrid president Florentino Perez
49 passengers on India-Hong Kong flight test positive for Covid
Access Bank partners with ScaleUp Africa to boost women’s empowerment, innovation and entrepreneurship
It’s shocking people still put a ‘premium’ on money to win elections – Kunbuor
Community Radio told off by Ofcom for playing ‘sexual moaning’ song at 8:20 am
Former US Vice President Walter Mondale dies at 93
Worawora Government Hospital calls for more blood donors
Thousands of Covid vaccines expire in South Sudan
Today’s front pages: Tuesday, April 20, 2021
Quality healthcare at Upper West Regional Hospital impeded over lack of food supply
‘NDC not at crossroads but we are at a point where the roads are likely to cross’ – Kunbuor
Mahama must call sycophantic campaigners to order – Kunbuor