A driver has ploughed into a group of pedestrians near the French city of Toulouse, injuring three Chinese exchange students.
A 23-year-old woman was seriously injured, and two men aged 22 and 23 were also hurt, police said.
The incident occurred outside a college in the suburb of Blagnac.
The 28-year-old driver "purposefully hit" the group on a crosswalk, Toulouse prosecutor Pierre-Yves Couilleau said.
The victims are students at the ICD-Toulouse International Business School. The woman's life is not in danger, police said.
The driver was arrested immediately afterwards. Police said he had several previous minor convictions, some drugs-related.
Unconfirmed reports say he had a history of mental illness including acute schizophrenia. La Dépêche du Midi newspaper quoted him as telling police he had heard voices telling him to harm someone.
Mr Couilleau visited the scene of the accident and said there was no suggestion the incident was an act of terrorism.
"What matters in this case is the psychiatric profile of the person," he said.
The man "had been planning this act for a month", Mr Couilleau added.
Toulouse Mayor Jean-Luc Moudenc tweeted (in French): "Very shocked by the aggression towards the students in Blagnac. We offer all our support to them and their loved ones."
Have your say
More World Headlines
- US: Chinia, Russia ‘corrupt’ in Africa
- South Africa court orders ex-president to pay his legal fees
- Trump: 'I never directed Michael Cohen to break the law'
- DR Congo poll: Blaze hits electoral depot as tense vote nears
- 9 out of 10 Africans unqualified for the Jobs they apply to
- Theresa May to join EU summit after surviving confidence vote
- Tanzania to build dam at heritage site
- Theresa May to face leadership challenge
- Senior citizens arrested after 'large amount of cocaine' found stashed on cruise ship
- Mozambique busts '30,000 ghost workers'
- Two nuns admit embezzling cash for Vegas gambling trips
- Thousands walk on Ethiopia Car Free Day
- Macron to hold protest crisis meeting
- Gabon's Bongo suffered a stroke - Vice President
- Kenya's president hires 91-year-old to secure youth sports fund