Audio By Carbonatix
Some X users in Brazil have said they can once again access the social media platform, the BBC has learned.
This comes after the service, formerly known as Twitter, was banned in the country at the end of August.
The change was made possible after the firm, which is owned by technology billionaire Elon Musk, moved to servers hosted by Cloudflare, according to ABRINT, the country's leading trade group for Internet Service Providers (ISP).
A spokesperson for X told the BBC that the restoration of the platform in Brazil was "inadvertent" and came after it changed its server provider.
"While we expect the platform to be inaccessible again in Brazil soon, we continue efforts to work with the Brazilian government to return very soon for the people of Brazil," the X spokesperson added.
Brazil’s telecom agency Anatel has not responded to requests for comment.
ABRINT said on Wednesday that the new system used dynamic internet protocols (IPs) that change constantly. By contrast, the previous system had relied on specific IPs that could be more easily blocked.
Basílio Rodriguez Pérez, ABRINT advisor, said those dynamic IPs could also be linked to critical services within Brazil.
"Many of these IPs are shared with other legitimate services, such as banks and large internet platforms, making it impossible to block an IP without affecting other services."
That includes PIX, which millions of Brazilians depend on to make digital payments.
Some experts say Cloudflare is well-positioned to help Brazil reinforce the ban.
“Actually, I think the ban would be even more effective if Cloudflare really cooperates with the government,” said Felip Autran, a constitutional lawyer in Brasilia, the country’s capital.
“I think they will, since they are such a huge provider for many Brazilian enterprises and also the government.”
Cloudflare declined to comment when contacted by the BBC.
The platform was banned in the country last month after failing to meet a court deadline to appoint a new legal representative in the country.
It marked the most significant development in a feud between Supreme Court Justice Alexandre de Moraes and Mr Musk that began in April, when the judge ordered the suspension of dozens of X accounts for allegedly spreading disinformation.
In his August ruling, Justice Moraes gave companies, including Apple and Google, a five-day deadline to remove X from their app stores and block its use on iOS and Android devices.
Brazil is said to be one of the largest markets for Mr Musk's social media network.
Latest Stories
-
Ghana’s tax architecture more data and enforcement driven than any point in modern history – Tax report
2 minutes -
GCB Bank backs Timeline & Innovations LTD with heavy-duty fleet to boost Ghana’s “Big Push” agenda
3 minutes -
Photos: Tunisian Minister of Youth and Sports meets Rugby Africa President Herbert Mensah
13 minutes -
“We’ll charge security officers for murder if anything happens to Abronye DC” – Haruna Mohammed
14 minutes -
Afri-SET holds third regional workshop on Air quality sensors and data analysis for West Africa
28 minutes -
BoG has not abandoned eCedi project – BoG Governor assures
28 minutes -
We are not intervening in the market but building reserves – BoG Governor on cedi pressures
35 minutes -
Supreme Court suit challenges Ghana’s criminal libel and false news laws
35 minutes -
Ghana Immigration Service secures conviction of West African national for using forged document
37 minutes -
Sodzi Sodzi-Tettey: One year of working for John Mahama
42 minutes -
Middle East crisis remains major risk despite strong domestic economy – BoG governor
48 minutes -
Peace Council calls for calm amid rising political tensions
52 minutes -
Arrest to prosecute not persecute – Haruna Mohammed tells NDC government
52 minutes -
Bawumia urges NPP MPs to position party as “government-in-waiting” ahead of 2028 elections
53 minutes -
‘He sold his cow to repay debt’ – How headmistress forced ex-staff to return wrongly paid salary
58 minutes