The Anti-Corruption Commission (ACC) in Zambia has charged and arrested the country’s former justice minister for allegedly being in possession of property reasonably suspected to be the proceeds of crime.
Given Lubinda appeared for questioning on Monday at the ACC offices in the capital, Lusaka, where he was formally arrested before being released on bail.
His lawyer, Jonas Zimba, confirmed Mr Lubinda had been charged for allegedly owning a house in Lusaka’s upmarket Kingsland City and having four different bank accounts.
On Tuesday, Mr Lubinda denied the charges at a press briefing, labelling his interrogation as hypocritical.
He also downplayed events, saying there was nothing new in the allegations as he had previously been summoned to answer similar charges.
He said he was happy the charges were proceeding to court so that he could prove his innocence.
Though Zambia’s new government is pursuing an anti-corruption drive after winning elections last year, it is yet to secure any major convictions.
- We were never consulted on NDC Parliamentary leadership reshuffle – Muntaka Mubarak
- Minority Leadership reshuffle an affront to dignity of NDC Caucus – Dr. Dominic Ayine
- Financial crisis has affected my GH¢106k investment – Agyinasare
- Debt Exchange Programme: Government reaches agreement with Ghana Insurers Association
- Stonebwoy thanks Asamoah Gyan for paying for his surgery 7 years ago
- ‘I’ve had frank conversations with Haruna Iddrisu’ – Ato Forson reveals
- Consultations are not mandatory – Dr. Spio-Garbrah on change in Minority leadership
- Haruna Iddrisu disclaims posts on Facebook, Twitter handles purported to be his
- Haruna Iddrisu, Muntaka Mubarak still leaders of Minority Caucus – Cletus Avoka
- ‘Onyame Akatua’ not a diss to Daddy Lumba – Great Ampong
- Ukraine: US sanctions Chinese firm helping Russia’s Wagner Group
- Court threatens to strike out case against Nana Agradaa as police fail to follow orders
- 11 signs you broke his heart
- Australian Open: Stefanos Tsitsipas beats Karen Khachanov to reach final
- Pope Francis appoints Rev Fr Samuel Nkuah-Boateng as Bishop of Wiawso Diocese
- Government defaults in paying teachers’ Tier 2 pension
- 2022/23 betPawa PL: Hearts of Oak head to Tarkwa, Kotoko host Kotoku Royals
- Paapa Versa recruits KooKusi for new single ‘Lights go dim’ from upcoming ‘Versa Villa’ album
- Adjust fiscal measures and save ¢83.5bn; don’t touch our funds – IBF to government
- Morgan Stanley penalises employees for $1 million for WhatsApp breaches
- Today’s front pages: Friday, January 27, 2023
- Kenya pushes one-pub-per-town order to fight alcoholism
- Kenyan court convicts Venezuelan diplomat of murder
- Decision to reshuffle NDC’s Minority Leadership was taken by FEC – Yamin
- AMA to roll out digital revenue collection system in March 2023