Audio By Carbonatix
Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky said on Tuesday that he had had a "productive" conversation with his U.S. counterpart, Donald Trump, on ending the war, sanctions on Russia and the finalisation of a U.S.-Ukraine drone deal.
"President Trump is fully informed about Russian strikes on Kyiv and other cities and communities," Zelensky wrote on X, referring to intensifying drone and missile attacks.
Trump, who has signalled frustration with Vladimir Putin in recent weeks, has given the Russian president until August 8 to make peace in Ukraine or face tougher sanctions.
A source in Washington said U.S. envoy Steve Witkoff would be meeting the Russian leadership in Moscow on Wednesday.
Speaking in his nightly video address, Zelensky said Trump "knows the situation along the front line," which extends for 1,000 km (620 miles) through eastern and southern Ukraine.
Ukraine, he said, had long supported U.S. proposals for an immediate ceasefire and had proposed a number of formats to implement a halt to the fighting.
"We have spoken with and proposed to Russia quiet in the skies, no missile and drone attacks and specifically no attacks on civilian infrastructure or on the energy sector," he said.
"All of this has been violated by the Russians and in a very cynical fashion."
Trump has threatened to hit Russia with new sanctions and impose 100% tariffs on countries that buy its oil, although sources close to the Kremlin have told Reuters that Putin is unlikely to bow to the ultimatum.
Zelensky said Ukraine was also ready to conclude a deal with the U.S. on the purchase of Ukrainian drones that would amount to "one of the strongest agreements". He had earlier said the deal was worth around $30 billion.
Ukraine is increasingly seeking financing and investment from its foreign partners to bolster its burgeoning domestic arms industry.
Zelensky said Kyiv's European partners had so far pledged to buy more than $1 billion in U.S. weapons for Ukraine as part of a new scheme.
Latest Stories
-
Gunmen allegedly kidnap teenager at Kabulya near Bimbilla, demand ransom
35 seconds -
Fernandes breaks assist record as Brighton land Euro spot despite loss
3 minutes -
Sunderland reach Europa League at Chelsea’s expense
7 minutes -
Spurs beat Everton to secure Premier League survival
10 minutes -
Xenophobia: Ghana to receive first batch of evacuees from South Africa on May 27
35 minutes -
GPL 2025/26: Swedru All Blacks stun Kotoko in dramatic final-day comeback
41 minutes -
Slump continues as cedi becomes worst-performing currency in sub-Saharan Africa in 2026
1 hour -
Petroleum Commission hails 7 Eleven’s indigenous bolt and nut plant as sign of local content growth
1 hour -
Keta MP offers relief to Afiadenyigba SHS after fire outbreak
2 hours -
UMaT graduates 95 students, commits to training 1,000 coders
2 hours -
Modified Taxation Scheme: Ghana’s surest way to inclusive tax administration
2 hours -
Asunafo North Cocoa Farmers Union and partners rescue rural schools from infrastructure crisis
2 hours -
Africa must become a destination for investment, not aid — Deputy Finance Minister
2 hours -
Regulation by invoicing: Systemic flaws in NITA’s licensing push and threat to Ghana’s digital trust
2 hours -
‘I’m sick and tired of this country’ – Ghanaian in South Africa pours out frustrations at meeting with Foreign Affairs Minister
3 hours