President Nana Addo Dankwa Akufo Addo, has nominated chief executives for the six new Municipal and District Assemblies, inaugurated on Tuesday, February 19.
This in line with Article 241 (1) of the 1992 Constitution and Section 20 (1) of the Local Government Act, Act 936.
A statement signed by the Minister of Local Government and Rural Development, Hajia Alima Mahama, on Wednesday, named them as: Mr Asare Danso for the Birim South District in the Eastern Region; Mr Alhassan Abdallah Iddi - North East Gonja District of the Savanna Region; and Mr Godwin Edudzi Effah - Keta Municipal of the Volta Region.
The rest are: Alhaji Mohammed Quaye for the Ayawaso Central Municipal; Nii Adjei Tawiah - Korley - Klottey Municipal; and Madam Mariama Amui – Ablekuma Central Municipal; all in the Greater Accra Region.
The statement urged the respective Regional Ministers to liaise with their various Regional Electoral Commission to initiate the confirmation process for the nominees.
The nominees are required to win at least two-thirds of the valid votes cast by the assembly members.
Have your say
More Politics Headlines
- We're developing all parts of Ghana without discrimination - Akufo-Addo
- RTI Bill to be law on Tuesday
- Keta residents kick against Akufo-Addo's nominee
- Sale of state assets bane of cedi - Greenstreet
- Parliament needs punitive measure to check MPs absenteeism - Odekro
- NDC wants Peace Council to choose venue for party militia dialogue
- Photos: NDC elders join family to mourn Kwabena Adjei
- Video: Only 15 MPs show up in parliament
- Cedi depreciation to increase cost of doing business - Minority
- Chief Justice warns saboteurs of E-Justice project
- NPP militia invitation letter: NDC MP says it's good faith, NDC executive says bad faith
- Ato Forson’s 5 questions for Bawumia
- Highlights: Minority on the state of Ghana's economy
- Cedi depreciation: Government must admit failure - Minority
- Adom Otchere was irrelevant to Short Commission – Executive Secretary explains