Audio By Carbonatix
The Administrator of the District Assemblies Common Fund (DACF), Michael Harry Yamson, has disclosed that 1,587 out of 4,767 projects traced under the fund across the country have so far been found not to exist.
He said the findings emerged from a recent exercise to trace projects financed through the Common Fund, explaining that the non-existent projects were undertaken during the previous administration.
Mr Yamson attributed the development to a lack of transparency in the management of the Common Fund, stressing that every cedi released for development must translate into projects that are visible and verifiable on the ground.
He made the disclosure at the opening of a meeting with Municipal and District Chief Executives (MDCEs) in the Volta Region at Dzolo-Kpuita in the Ho West District last Thursday.
He said measures had now been instituted to strengthen transparency and accountability to ensure that the Common Fund promoted equitable development, secured livelihoods, stimulated economic growth and enhanced decentralised governance.
IGF mobilisation
Mr Yamson also urged the metropolitan, municipal and district assemblies (MMDAs) to intensify efforts to mobilise Internally Generated Funds (IGF) to broaden their financial base and reduce reliance on central government transfers.
He said although 80 per cent of the DACF had been released, it remained important for the assemblies to complement the allocations with robust IGF mobilisation to improve service delivery and accelerate development.
"We can no longer depend solely on central transfers and any resources available to the assemblies must be optimised through the use of technology," he said.
Regional Minister
The Volta Regional Minister, James Gunu, urged the assemblies to make prudent and innovative use of the Common Fund allocations to drive local economic development.

He said having received 80 per cent of the Common Fund allocations, the assemblies had no justification for delaying development projects.
Mr Gunu encouraged the assemblies to adopt innovative approaches to create jobs and strengthen local economies, adding that they should also collaborate with non-governmental organisations to attract additional resources for development.
Ho West District
The District Chief Executive for Ho West, Professor Francis Duse, said the increased release of the Common Fund would support the execution of critical infrastructure projects, improve education and strengthen inclusive programmes for persons with disabilities.
He said the district also had enormous potential in agriculture and tourism, which could be harnessed to drive socio-economic development.
The meeting discussed issues including fund allocations.
Latest Stories
-
I haven’t experienced any envy in the gospel music industry — Ohemaa Mercy
23 minutes -
Prayer does not solve everything — Ohemaa Mercy
34 minutes -
New PURC office symbolises stronger consumer protection – Dr Jinapor
1 hour -
Rev. Wengam re-elected Assemblies of God, Ghana General Superintendent
1 hour -
Less than 20km of clearing left to connect Accra-Kumasi Expressway to Kumasi – Agbodza
1 hour -
US judge strikes down policy suspending immigrant visa processing for 75 nations
1 hour -
MCEs collecting fees from galamseyers are facilitating illegality – Ken Ashigbey
2 hours -
Developer LMI Holdings commits to completing first 700 Saglemi housing units
2 hours -
Africa’s next chapter will be built by institution-builders, not idea-havers
2 hours -
Wenchi Traditional Council suspends Twafohene indefinitely
2 hours -
Kpassa-Merimeri road undergoes filling and levelling works to improve accessibility
2 hours -
9 Blue Water Guards arrested over alleged bribery, impersonation
3 hours -
Wildlife guard shot dead during Kakum patrol
3 hours -
‘I reject them without qualification’ — Afenyo-Markin hits back over Sammy Gyamfi’s claims
4 hours -
GoldBod must appear before a parliamentary inquiry to answer for gold-trade losses — Appiagyei
4 hours